Furbearer General Any Weapon Season
Panhandle Furbearer Region
11/1/2013 - 3/31/2014
- Northern River Otter (Lutra canadensis)
- Either-sex Northern River Otter
- Either sex may be taken.
- Open to Trapping, Closed to Hunting.
- Motorized Hunting Rule (MHR): Motorized vehicle use by all big game hunters is restricted to established roadways legally open to travel by full-sized automobiles. The motorized hunting rule applies only to big game animals, including moose, bighorn sheep and mountain goats, in designated units from August 30 through December 31. Learn more about the Motorized hunting Rule at idfg.idaho.gov/hunt/access/motorized-vehicles
Harvest quota 30 for the Panhandle Region. Visit River Otter Harvest Webpage, call the Panhandle office at (208)769-1414 or call the 24 hour hotline at (800)323-4334 24 to obtain current harvest information. Season closes 48 hours after quota is reached. Maximum limit of 2 otters per trapper.
All areas closed to beaver trapping are closed to otter trapping.
- Panhandle Furbearer Region
- Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, Kootenai and Shoshone Counties. Area Size: 5,076,376 acres
No historical hunts resemble this hunt or harvest statistics are not currently available for this opportunity.
Tags, Permits & Fees
No resident tags are necessary.
No non-resident tags are necessary.
Landscape Characteristics and Access
For government land, these data show the managing agency of the land, which may or not be the same as the owning agency.
|U.S. Forest Service (USFS) 48.1%|
|State of Idaho 8.89%|
|U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) 1.94%|
|Indian Reservation 0.98%|
|U.S. Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) 0.27%|
Access Yes! Properties
Access Yes! is Fish and Game program designed to improve hunting and fishing access to private land or through private land to public land by compensating willing landowners who provide access.
- Mica Creek Drainage on St. Joe River
- Hugas Creek & St. Joe River Basin
- Trout Creek Drainage (St. Joe)
- John Creek Drainage
- Trout Creek Drainage (Pack River)
- Caribou Creek Drainage
Forest Service Land
Check for road and area closures on National Forest websites
- Clearwater National Forest
- Coeur d'Alene National Forest
- Kaniksu National Forest
- Kootenai National Forest
- St. Joe National Forest
Federally-designated Wilderness Areas
No motorized vehicles are allowed in these areas.
There are no wilderness areas in this hunt.
Land Use/Land Cover
|Forest 76.14 %|
|Dryland Agriculture 14.69 %|
|Rangeland 4.57 %|
|Water 2.98 %|
|Urban 0.84 %|
|Riparian 0.76 %|
1990 Land Use/Land Cover based on Anderson et al scheme via Idaho Department of Water Resources