Ask Fish & Game

Ask Fish and Game is for general questions. Not all questions are answered. Urgent questions should be directed to your nearest office.

Some answers change over time; please take note of the "answered-on" date.

Displaying 401 - 450 of 537 questions
Question Askedsort descending
A: Yes, the second general season nonresident deer or elk tag can be used to harvest the species the tag is for one of the species you list as long as there is a season for both the species of the tag and the species you harvest such as bear.
A: From page 112 in the 2014 big game proclamations: Exchanging Deer or Elk Tags: Hunters may exchange general season elk tags for use in another zone at any Fish and Game office. Deer hunters may exchange a regular season deer tag for a white-tailed deer tag or a white-tailed deer tag for a regular ...
A: Consider the following 3 options: Most of the elk reside in the southern portion of the Unit, from Grouse Peak to the southern boundary of the unit.  This area is mostly public land, topographically diverse and high elevation.  You are likely to find elk in any drainage, particularly those with ...
A: To find out if you have drawn for a Landowner Appreciation Program tag please check with the Regional office where your property is registered.  Notices should be in the mail by August 15th however results will be available earlier at the Regional offices.   Results are taking longer than normal ...
A: Yes you can.
A: No, unless the hunt you apply for is specifically listed as an extra hunt. Otherwise, you must choose one or the other. Please be aware of the Departments tag exchange rules which can be found on page 112 in the 2014 big game proclamation book. Exchanging Deer or Elk Tags: Hunters may exchange ...
A: Youth hunts that are not filled in the second drawing can be purchased by those with a senior license or a disabled license through the leftover tag sale starting August 25th at 10 am mountain time. See page 108 in the 2014 big game proclamation booklets.
A: Right now there are no planned changes to seasons in Unit 11.  The Dept. will proceed as usual with the mule deer and elk seasons.  However due to the fire, game may be more concentrated in unburned areas providing a better opportunity to bag your buck.  Good luck!
A: With the sportsman's package you have an elk receipt. We consider this your first elk tag. You can purchase the discounted nonresident elk tag prior to redeeming your elk receipt.
A: There will be no rainchecks offered for this hunt.  There is still much unburned land in the unit and the fire is now out.  For more information, please contact ther Clearwater Regional Office at: 208-799-5010.
A: Hunters can buy 5 wolf tags per calendar year and 5 trapping tags per calendar year for use in zones with an open trapping season.  A person must attend a wolf trapper education course and have a valid trapping license before trapping wolves.
A: I'll try to help you out.  I think it helps if you know why we have this controlled hunt.  The intent was to harvest antlerless elk where we are having some problems with too many elk on private agricultural land.  That is why the hunt is restricted to "on and within one mile of private land ...
A: There are no shortages of general areas where you might find a cow elk in the Unit 39-1 area.  It really depends on what scenary you want to see while hunting and how far you want to travel.  The further you travel away from highway 21 the fewer people you are likely to see.  We don't have any elk ...
A: Page 112 of the 2014 big game proclamations explains the Departments tag exchange rules. Hunters may exchange general season elk tags for use in another zone or controlled hunt at any Fish and Game office. However, The exchange must be completed before the first hunt opening date of the tag you ...
A: The answer depends on the elk tag you currently posses. Any exchanges must be completed prior to any open seasons for the elk tag you currently possess. If the elk tag you currently possess does not have an open season until after the drawing, you can exchange your general seasons tag to the ...
A: It must remain attached to the largeste portion of edible meat.   TAG VALIDATION AND ATTACHMENT AND PROXY STATEMENT.Immediately after any deer, elk, pronghorn, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, mountain lion, black bear, or gray wolf is killed, the appropriate big game animal tag must be ...
A: Yes as long as the requested transfer meets all of the requirements as described on the transfer form that can be found at Please contact our license section at 208-334-2952 if you have additional questions.
A: If you are a resident, you can purchase the tag through the last day of the hunt. If you are a nonresident, you can do the same as long as the nonresident tag quota has not been sold out. For quota information please visit this page for nonresident inforamtion ...
A: Fish and Game decides on rain checks for a number of reasons should a hunter not be able to hunt in a controlled hunt.  If a fire is burning and the land management agency closes the unit or a very large part of the hunt area during most of the season, then we can decide on offering alternatives ...
A: Yes you can purchase one of the discounted nonresident Brownlee A elk tags as a second tag.
A: Yes. The waiting period does not apply to the second drawing or the leftover tag sales.
A: Currently there are no plans to issue rain checks for Unit 11.  Although fire has gone through much of the Unit, many acres of unburned habitat still remain.  Historically, rain checks are sometimes offered only in those units that have massive ongoing fires with area closures preventing hunter ...
A: Hi Josh, The mountain goat that you observed with red ear tag 13 was captured last winter in Wyoming near Alpine.  During this capture effort, nannies were radio collared and billies were ear tagged.  I passed the waypoint and observation information on to the Wyoming biologist working on this ...
A: If a person has a depredation tag, then yes you can also purchase a general season tag. A depredation tag is similar to having an extra controlled hunt tag. If you have a landowner permission controlled hunt, then the answer would be no. However, you can purchase the nonresident general season ...
A: There will be no rain checks offered for this hunt.  The unit still has much area open to hunting and the fire is now out.  For more information, please contact the Clearwater Regional Office at:  208-799-5010.
A: The second drawing has been completed and the winners have been notified. Limited information on the results of the drawing should be on our website soon.
A: You are restricted to the Snake River Zone with the tag you currently have. Elk zone tags are only valid for the zone they are purchased for.  The exceptions are for depredation hunts, extra antlerless elk hunts, or buying a discounted nonresident elk tag as a second tag, if available.  
A: Based on your question we are going to make the assumption that the antlerless hunt your drew was not an extra hunt. Based on that information if you purchased your 2014 antlerless controlled hunt tag, the system would have prevented you from submitting an application for an antlered hunt in the ...
A: Trapping rules and seasons can be found on our website at: .  Seasons for different species start at different times.  You cannot trap mountain lions legally.  However, you can trap wolves but you must first attend a mandatory wolf trapping ...
A: Actions taken by a previous Commission do not restrict actions of future Commissions.  Commissioners are appointed to 4 year terms and may serve up to 2 terms.  As Commissioners change, it is very common to revisit issues of interest to sportsmen.  The current Commission includes several members ...
A: Yes, you can purchase a nonresident hunting/3day fishing license and your bear tag at any vendor location, on-line at or via telephone at 1-800-554-8685. We also have general season deer and elk tags that ...
A: Yes, a hunting license is required to purchase any big game tag in Idaho.
A: Yes.
A: Good question.  Older does are less likely to produce young and therefore provide less reproductive value to the herd.  However, it is difficult to determine age of a standing deer. You already mentioned the doe without a fawn method, but that too is difficult and not fool proof as a doe may have ...
A: Exchanging Deer or Elk Tags: Hunters may exchange general season elk tags for use in another zone at any Fish and Game office. Deer hunters may exchange a regular season deer tag for a white-tailed deer tag or a white-tailed deer tag for a regular season deer tag at any Fish and Game office. The ...
A: It is possible to recover this animal if you contact Idaho Fish and Game and get with the local Conservation Officer.  You did the right thing by not shooting the bull when you located it several days later; since you validated your tag.  If the animal is wondering, recovery is highly unlikely.  ...
A: You are not required to validate your tag until you take possession of the animal.  Hunters must make a reasonable effort to retrieve an animal that is wounded.  There are times when wounded animals are not found or recovered.  
A: The elk tag can only be used to harvest an elk, bear, lion or wolf as long as there is a season for elk and the species harvested such as bear. An elk tag cannot be used to harvest a deer. In addition, once the tag has been used to harvest an animal it cannot be used again. You can purchase a ...
A: Hunting black bears is a popular sport in Idaho.  However, for a new hunter, or someone that hasn't hunted in the state before, it can be a little daunting.  The easiest way to get around the confusion of how, when, where, is to contact an outfitter to help you out with your first hunt.  They ...
A: Yes, as long as you personally do not attempt to take an elk.  You do not need a hunting license or tag to accompany and learn from your friend while on their hunt.  For those new to the sport of elk hunting, there's really no better way to learn the safe, ethical and responsible aspects of ...
A: You may harvest a doe with a second tag only where doe harvest is allowed.  For instance, whitetail hunting is either sex in many units as is archery hunting mule deer, but any weapon general seson mule deer is primarily youth hunting.  The second tag only allows you to shoot a second deer that is ...
A: Yes, absolutely.   Just keep the weapons straight for appropriate method of take.
A: Our research shows that one reason many nonresidents left the state over the last 5-6 years was due to the down economy. Tourism was down everywhere.  There has not been a resident license fee increase since 2005 though our expenses continue to increase annually. In order to continue to provide ...
A: Yes. That is the Snake River Zone.  The A tag is available for sale.  There are no B tags in that zone...
A: Yes, you can participate in a general season spring bear hunt, apply for the fall controlled bear hunt and be eligible to draw a tag for the fall controlled bear hunt too.
A: Yes you can make the exchange. However, it will need to be done prior to the opening date of the hunt which is October 1 for the Middle Fork A tag.
A: Over the counter elk tags are available to both residents and nonresidents. There are a limited amount of elk (and deer) tags available for nonresidents, so get them before they are sold out! We are discounting the second tags for both residents and nonresidents this year and they are selling ...
A: The Department does not regulate the fees charged by outfitters for the services they provide. The fees they charge for a hunt can be based on the demand for the hunt and the type of hunt (general season hunts versus controlled hunts). If you would like to discuss the fees charged by outfitters, ...
A: If you kill an animal previously wounded by your partner you must reduce the animal to your possession, validate your tag, and place it on the animal.  If you do not have a valid tag for the area it would be unlawful to kill the animal even if it is wounded.
A: No you may not use another persons tag. However, the Department does allow the tag to be designated to an immediate family member. Here are some of the requirements for this option. The hunter possessing the tag must have passed away prior to the opening of the controlled hunt. The original tag ...