Ask Fish & Game

Ask Fish and Game is for general questions.
  • Not all questions are answered.
  • Urgent questions should be directed to your nearest office.
  • Some answers change over time; please take note of the "answered-on" date.

Previously answered questions are posted here.

Displaying 1 - 100 of 603 questions
Question Asked
A: Idaho Code 36-404 (b) states: Class 4: Senior Resident Combination License. Licenses to be issued only to persons over sixty-five (65) years of age who meet the definition of "resident" pursuant to the provisions of section 36-202, Idaho Code. Idaho Code 36-413 (e) states: A lifetime certificate ...
A: Yes, however there are some stipulations and restrictions. The most pertinent are: 1. Hunting is only authorized on public lands that allow shooting and public access/presence. 2. Permit does not authorize hunting on private property; a separate landowner signed permission slip must be obtained. 3 ...
A: Based on comments we have received from customers over the years, we have changed our process for mailing licenses when they are purchased on-line or through a mobile device. Licenses purchased on-line are to be printed at home and licenses purchased via a mobile device now download electronically ...
A: Bobcats are classified as a furbearing animal.  Furbearers include bobcat, fox, marten, mink, muskrat, beaver, otter, lynx, fisher, and badger.  Of these, lynx and fisher are fully protected with no legal harvest, and otters have a quota.  Lynx are listed as threatened and wolverine are listed as ...
A: Idaho Fish and Game issues hunter education numbers at the time of certification, and are generated from the database and are not linked to the social security number and cannot be changed.  The Idaho Fish and Game license system generates a sportsman's identification number from the database, not ...
A: Thank you for your question. Trapping licenses were required in the 1980's. Unfortunately we do not have license purchase history for the 1980's.
A: No. The equipment restrictions you mentioned are only for Big Game. All that is needed is a fishing license and good aim!
A: Thanks for the question, The short answer is no.  Years ago, the Kokanee fishery in Salmon Falls Creek Reservoir (SFCR) was integral to the fishing experience in the reservoir.  In the late 90's we started to see a decline in angler catch rates.  This decline continued to worsen over the next 5-7 ...
A: No you do not.  Thanks for asking!
A: Where the Snake River forms the boundary between Idaho and Oregon or Washington only one states license is required. As long as you are in a boat or on the shore of the state from which you hold a license. If you hold an Idaho license license you would not be able to stand in Oregon and fish, just ...
A: A hunter education certification from another state would qualify for purchasing a hunting license in Idaho. This includes online and instructor-led courses. States vary whether they accept non-residents into hunter education courses. To find out contact the hunter education program in the state ...
A: No Fish and Game issued trapping license is needed to catch ferrel cats on your property.  Ferel cats would not be classified as wildlife and would not fall under Fish and game jurisdiction.   Ferel cats fall under state, county and city jurisdiction, and therefore you should be aware of animal ...
A: No birds may be shot without a license. Unprotected non-native species, such as European Starlings and Eurasian Collared-doves, may be taken year-round by those possessing a valid hunting license.
A: You can e-mail your proof of disability, letter on Veterans Affairs letterhead showing combined service connected disability percentage, to
A: Thank you for your question. Yes, you may take a picture of your license and store it on your mobile device as proof of having a license. We do not have any plans to build an app for licensing. However, we do have a mobile optimized website and those who purchase their license via a mobile device ...
A: A hunting license IS required to hunt or take any wildlife in Idaho, including unprotected and predatory wildlife. Most ground squirrels are classified as unprotected wildlife and can be hunted by persons holding a valid hunting license.  Be aware, there are several species of ground squirrel that ...
A: There is a difference between the Steelhead Permit and the 3-day Salmon/Steelhead.   The 3-day Salmon/Steelhead is a 3-day Fishing License with a Salmon Permit and a Steelhead Permit.   The Steelhead Permit cannot be purchased unless you have a Nonresident Fishing LIcense.  As of the date this ...
A: Yes you need to have  a current hunting license to hunt rabbits in Idaho.
A: Yes, coyotes are classified as predatory wildlife in the state of Idaho and may be taken in any numbers, year round, and with crossbows, by the holders of the appropriate hunting license. The weapons restrictions that exist for big game do not apply to predatory or unprotected wildlife.   Josh ...
A: Starlings are classified in Idaho as a predator and can be controlled by almost any means, but a license or permit is required for the individual doing the control action.   However the depredation control folks at Wildlife Services (208-373-1630) can help control migratory wildlife which are ...
A: It depends on if the children (under 14 years of age) are residents of the State of Idaho or nonresidents. Resident children (primary domicile/home) who have lived in Idaho for at least the past 6 months are considered residents and can possess their own daily bag limit of fish.  They can even ...
A: River conditions are constantly changing, especially this time of year. There are a couple of different ways to get information on current river conditions: 1.) There are numerous stream flow gauges throughout the upper Salmon River basin that are operated by the US Geological Survey (USGS) and ...
A: No its not legal. Wolves can only be hunted from one half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunset. They have shooting hours.
A: Let's look at the economics of the various license options.  You could buy a Nonresident Fishing license ($98.25) and a Nonresident Steelhead permit ($25.75) and fish all year for steelhead in Idaho.  It would also give you the latitude to return in the fall and fish for steelhead at no additional ...
A: Please send a letter expressing your interest in becoming a license vendor for the Department of Fish and Game. Include in your letter:      Your Name     Business Name     Mailing Address     Phone number You can send the letter through the mail to: IDFG License SectionP. O. Box 25Boise, ID 83707 ...
A: Pet/Domestic wolves are usually not pure wolf.  They may be close in heritage to thier wild cousins but usually show some sign of domestic dog. The permit is to allow personnel to identify domestic wolves from wild wolves, if they show all primary wolf characteristics and no domestic dog ...
A: A violation of the Motorized Hunting Rule is Misdemeanor in Idaho, which comes with a penalty of a fine of $25-$1,000, and or up to 6 months in jail. It also comes with the potential of a license revocation of up to 3 years. there is no mandatory minimum for the fine or the license revocation as ...
A: No
A: We are glad to hear that you and your son enjoy spending time hunting and fishing together. We appreciate your passing on the hunting and fishing legacy to your kids. Currently there is not an option for a junior/senior/DAV sportsmans package. This is something that has been discussed as part of  ...
A: You may target practice on BLM lands without a hunting license.
A: We would need to change the dates before the dates on the current license expire.  A new license would need to be issued with the new dates.  This can be done at no cost.
A: Black bear season is open in GMU 66A in the fall from Aug 30 - Oct 31.  The antlerless elk controlled hunt is Oct 25 - Nov 15.  For the first few days  of the elk season (Oct 25-31) you would be able to harvest a black bear.
A: For the 2016 year, the bear and antlerless elk hunt would be both be open only from October 25-31.   The bear is open October 1-31 and the controlled elk is open October 25-November 15.   Please be advised that these dates may differ in the future years beyond 2016.
A: The 3-year junior license would still be valid after the junior turns 18.   However, he (or she) would not be able to participate in any hunt that is designated youth only.
A: Hunting without a proper license and hunting without a proper tag are misdemeanor violations in Idaho.  Idaho Code 36-1402 states that penalty for a misdemeanor violation is a fine of $25 to $1000, up to six months in jail, and up to three years of license revocation.
A: If you were born after January 1, 1975, yes you will need to complete hunters education prior to purchasing a nongame hunting license. Here is the Idaho Law regarding hunters education. Idaho Code 36-411.  Certificate of completion. (a) Hunter education.  No hunting license shall be issued to a ...
A: Idaho has nonresident over-the-counter tags available for deer and elk. The over-the-counter tag is called our "general" tag and is good for mule deer or white-tailed deer. We also have controlled hunt tags for deer and elk. If a nonresident purchased a general tag prior to drawing a controlled ...
A: A harvested bobcat must be turned into Fish and Game to have a CITES tag attached to it, regardless of the method of take (this includes salvageed road kill). Yes, you will be charged for the tag and vendor fee. A fee of $2 will be charged for each pelt tag. An additional $1.75 vendor fee will be ...
A: On page 47 of the furbearer regulations in the section entitled "removing trapped animals of another" it states: No person shall remove wildlife from the trap or snare of another except licensed trappers with written permission from the owner.  In other words, so long as your name or your son's ...
A: As a hunter you can purchase 5 wolf tags per calendar year (January 1 through December 31).  As long as you have taken the required wolf trapping class and have a trapping license, you can purchase 5 wolf trapping tags per trapping year (July 1 through June 30).  This could result in the purchase ...
A: The senior license rates do not take effect until the day you actually turn age 65.
A: In addition to a license and elk tag, you must purchase an archery permit for an archery only season.  In order to purchase an archery permit, you would need to complete an Idaho Bowhunter Affidavit form.  On this form you can ...
A: Another 150 steelhead will be stocked in the Boise River on Thursday, November 19, the last of two planned stocking efforts prior to the Thanksgiving holiday.  In years past, as many as 900 steelhead made the road trip from Hells Canyon Dam to the Boise River, but this year's below-average ...
A: You can use archery equipment in an any weapon hunt without obtaining an archery permit.   An archery permit is only required for an archery only period.
A: You can use a bow in a "short-range weapon" hunt without an archery permit validation. The archery permit validation is required for archery-only hunts. However, you are required to follow the archery equipment restrictions listed on page 98 of the 2015 - 2016 Big Game Seasons and Rules brochure.
A: In Idaho we require seperate permits to fish for steelhead and salmon.  So, the Steelhead permit is good for fishing in the spring and fall steelhead seasons.  You need to record all steelhead caught and kept over 20" in length on your permit.  The Salmon permit is good for fishing in the spring ...
A: Muzzleloader permits were initially set up to count the number of muzzleloader hunters in order to design hunts for them.  They are now included in sportsmen packs but other license purchasers who are muzzloader hunters cannot be counted or contacted/surveyed without the permits at this point.  ...
A: Yes, so long as supplies last. Nonresidents can purchase an over-the-counter license and tag in Idaho beginning December 1st for the upcoming year. There is a cap to the number of elk and deer tags avialable to nonresidents. Many elk zones sell out quickly in popular areas so you'll want to be ...
A: The 2015 season for the general deer tag in unit 11A runs October 10 through November 3. To hunt white-tailed deer in unit 11A through December 1, you would need the White-tail deer tag. Tag exchanges from one type to another had to be done prior to the season opening for the tag you currently ...
A: Yes, a resident may purchase a fishing license and steelhead permit for a nonresident.
A: There is not a handicapped rate for lifetime licenses.  These fees are set by law as a formula using the resident adult license rates (IDAPA 36-413).
A: The situation you describe, as two juveniles age 16-18 desiring to go hunting alone, does not require you to be with an adult in order to go hunting as long as you are residents of the state of Idaho and you hold the correct license and or tag.  You may be thinking of restrictions placed on " ...
A: Thank you for your question. The muzzleloader permit fee is $18.25 for residents and $20.00 for nonresidents.  They can be purchased at any Idaho Fish & Game Regional office or Headquarters, or any Idaho Fish & Game license vendor.  They can also be purchased online at http://fishandgame. ...
A: Yes
A: You cannot fish for salmon or steelhead with a confirmation.   You are required to have the permit in hand as it must be notched if you harvest a fish.
A: We're assuming you mean getting a tag replaced because it may be lost. If that's the case: Any local vendor or Fish and Game office can issue a duplicate license. However, lost tags, including deer and elk tags, can be replaced only at a Fish and Game office. Each duplicate item costs $7.25 for ...
A: For this year, we recommend you keep your current license and elk tag. Those who have met the residency requirements after purchasing a nonresident license may purchase resident tags for the species they have not purchased. This type of a purchase can only be made at IDFG offices. For example, if ...
A: To certify in hunter education you must take our instructor-led in class course OR the online course and the in class field day. The field day is mandatory for everyone. The field day includes a written examination and field exercise examination. Students must show and demonstrate their knowledge ...
A: A felony conviction that has made an individual a "prevented possessor” has no bearing on their ability to purchase a hunting license in Idaho. If the board of Pardons and Parole has revoked your right to possess a firearm in Idaho, you will not be allowed to possess a black powder or muzzle- ...
A: To purchase the Jr. Mentored/DAV tags, a person must possess a Jr. Mentored hunting license, a Jr. Hunting Passport or a Disabled American Veteran hunting license. If you do not have one of these license types, the system will only offer the full priced tags.
A: Sorry, we don't have a fishing passport - but it's a really good idea.  The hunting passport is a way to expose people to hunting prior to taking hunter education and making a large time and financial commitment to the sport.  Fishing is different in the fact we don't require any pre-sport ...
A: Please review the Disabled Hunter Companion Rules at and then give us a call at 208-334-3700 if you need further assistance. Thank you.
A: The Idaho bowhunter online coursehas been updated and no longer requires a field day to obtain certification. This was changed January 1, 2015. If you completed the online course in 2014, you can log back into the course at  to print your certification card. If ...
A: All hunters must have a valid Idaho hunting license and the appropriate tags or permits in their possession while hunting. See our seasons and rules section for more information and rules regarding hunter education.
A: Adult residents age 18 and over have to purchase their own license because they need to show proof of residency. An adult may buy a license or tag for their minor child. Please check the current seasons and rules section for more details.
A: You must have a trapping license to trap coyotes in Idaho.  This species can be trapped all year long and there is not a limit on the harvest amount.
A: The Portneuf Wellness Complex is a multi-use 80-acre facility located near the former North Bannock County Fairgrounds. The complex was generously donated to Bannock County by the Portneuf Health Trust to help promote both physical and mental well-being for those who use it. Among the amazing ...
A: Hi there Vaugh, The Yankee Fork is home to several species of fish, including Chinook Salmon, Steelead, Bull Trout, Westslope Cutthroat Trout and Mountain Whitefish. At this time, the populations of salmon and steelhead are very low and no fishing is allowed for those species. Bull Trout and ...
A: I want to thank you for taking the time to write about the tag and permit fees paid by those holding senior licenses.  The Department of Fish and Game does not receive any financial support from the state’s general fund. Therefore, the funding for Idaho’s fish and wildlife programs comes solely ...
A: Both a hunting license and hound hunter permit are required to pursue raccoons.  Page 99 in the Big Game Rules covers Black Bear and Mountain Lions.  Page 47 in the Upland Game and Furbearer rules states, the following persons must have a valid hound hunter permit in possession when dogs are being ...
A: You can purchase your elk tag at any Idaho Fish and Game office or license vendor in the state, regardless of location.
A: To legally catch or take gamefish from a public water in Idaho you need to have a fishing licenese.  They also need to be taken in a legal manner as defined by the Idaho Fish and Game Commission in the 2013 - 2015 Fishing Rules booklet.  This does not include capture by hand or snagging - unless ...
A: In Idaho, coyotes can be hunted by anyone possessing a hunting license (age 10 and up) or hunting passport (age 8).
A: If you can show proof of having a valid hunting license in another state you are eligible to purchase an Idaho hunting license.
A: Your question may be better answered by the Kootenai County Sheriff's Office.  Their general phone number is 208 446-1300.  Fish and game laws in Idaho are silent on the subject of shooting from the deck of your home.
A: No as long as you are not hunting any live animal, you do not need a hunting license.
A: Yes, you must have your license and tags on your person while in the field. Sage Grouse and Sharptail validations print on your license. Tags cannot be printed via the internet, and must be mailed, or picked up in person at a vendor. If you have lost your license or tag, you may purchase a ...
A: Thank you for your question.  Idaho is a member state of the Wildlife Violator Compact (WVC) as are many other states including Utah.  If an individual’s hunting privileges are suspended in any of the member states, every state belonging to the WVC honors that suspension.  If your hunting ...
A: The cost of a senior (65+) combination hunting and fishing license for residents is $11.75  A resident for the purposes of this senior discount was changed in 2015 to residing in Idaho for 6-months rather than 5-years.
A: Our resident tag count can be found here: Our nonresident tag count can be found here:
A: “It is illegal to fish in any waters of Idaho with more than one handline or pole with a line attached; …..or by archery, spearfishing, snagging, hands and netting except as permitted. “ If you observe a violation I would encourage you to report it to your local Conservation Officer, Sherriff’s ...
A: Browse here for the prices for our nonresident licenses and tags. Through the month of August this 2015 year, we have a discount for a second nonresident elk or deer tag, as well. A license is required for the purchase of an elk tag.
A: You will need to provide a statement from the social security administration on their letterhead explaining the individual(s) do not have a social security number. This documentation will need to be provided to an IDFG regional or headquarters office. We can then set up the individual(s) profile ...
A: Field days are offered throughout the calendar year at various times, depending on where you live. More than 14,000 students continually take and pass hunter education in Idaho each year. Classes and field days change often and new opportunities are added constantly, so keep checking the website. ...
A: We do recommend that trappers take a trapping course to learn important skills such as avoiding non-target catch, best management practices, ethics and responsibilities. Our trapping course includes both classroom time taught by a trapper and outdoor trap setting skills. A trapping course is not ...
A: Yes. You can use a bow in a general hunt without the archery validation.  However, any archery-only hunt requires the validation.
A: You can hunt forest grouse with an air rifle with a valid hunting license and when they are in season. You can shoot preditory animals such as starlings, ferral pigeons, english sparrows, and Eurasian Collared doves. There are no other species or seasons for air rifles.
A:     To buy an archery permit in Idaho, all bowhunters must possess a valid hunting license and show proof they have completed an approved bowhunter education course or show evidence of having been licensed for an archery-only hunt in Idaho or another state, or complete an affidavit to that effect ...
A: No. If a hunter draws a super hunt tag, IDFG will issue the tag and mail it to the hunter. The hunter is responsible for purchasing the appropriate hunting or combination hunting and fishing license prior to IDFG issuing the appropriate super hunt tag.
A: If a person draws a super hunt tag, IDFG will issue the tag and mail it to the hunter. The hunter is responsible for purchasing the appropriate hunting or combination hunting and fishing license before we can issue the appropriate tag.
A: No it is not required to hunt. however it is a good idea to carry photo identification with you to help indentfy yourself.
A: In Idaho, you can participate in trapping by purchasing a trapping license and following all rules and regulations.
A: Big game tags and permits that must be notched, validated or attached to a carcass cannot be printed if purchased via the Internet. Those items will be printed and mailed to customers.
A: It is legal to photograph wildlife.  The term 'hunt' in Idaho does not include stalking, attracting, searching for, or lying in wait for, any wildlife by an unarmed person solely for the purpose of watching wildlife or taking pictures thereof.
A: No.  Fishing for or targeting salmon/steelhead is prohibited unless a steelhead season is specifically opened for that water.    In other words, no salmon/steelhead fishing (including catch/release) is allowed unless there is an open season for that river location.   Steelhead rules can be found ...
A: Yes, you need a fishing license to harass, bait, attempt to take, etc. any fish in public waters in Idaho.
A: If you access our license purchase page found at and complete a search for your information, the system will display the items you have purchased in the current license year at the bottom of the license, tag and permit selection page.The system will display ...
A: Most of the ground squirrels north of the Payette River are protected ground Squirrels which can not be hunted.  Idaho has two species of ground squirrel that are only found in Southwest Idaho.  The Northern Idaho Ground Squirrel lives in Washington and Adams counties, they are a federally ...
A: Raccoons have become common in towns and cities around Treasure Valley.  Part of the draw for raccoons to use these urban areas is that, other than cars and the occasional aggressive dog, there is very little threat to raccoons.  Further, the raccoons find ample food in yards where people feed ...
A: Even though crawfish are a "game fish" in Idaho, the Idaho Dept. of Fish and Game does not track population numbers or trends for crawfish.  With that said, we are unaware of any populations of crawfish being over-exploited in Idaho. There are many areas where you can set traps for crayfish in the ...