Ask Fish & Game

Ask Fish and Game is for general questions.
  • Not all questions are answered.
  • Urgent questions should be directed to your nearest office.
  • Some answers change over time; please take note of the "answered-on" date.

Previously answered questions are posted here.

Displaying 801 - 900 of 942 questions
Question Askedsort descending
A: No it is not required to hunt. however it is a good idea to carry photo identification with you to help indentfy yourself.
A: If a person draws a super hunt tag, IDFG will issue the tag and mail it to the hunter. The hunter is responsible for purchasing the appropriate hunting or combination hunting and fishing license before we can issue the appropriate tag.
A: Yes.   The Idaho Fish and Game Commission approved the sale of discounted second tags, but this year, for a limited time.  Left over nonresident tags will go on sale August 1 and will be available at discounted prices during August only. Beginning September 1, leftover nonresident tags will still ...
A: No. If a hunter draws a super hunt tag, IDFG will issue the tag and mail it to the hunter. The hunter is responsible for purchasing the appropriate hunting or combination hunting and fishing license prior to IDFG issuing the appropriate super hunt tag.
A: All legal wolf harvest is updated in those tables as it occurs. If wolf harvest occurs on private land in a zone with a year-round harvest season, the harvest is legal and within an open season and will be updated in the table. The harvest table does not include illegal killings or other mortality ...
A:     To buy an archery permit in Idaho, all bowhunters must possess a valid hunting license and show proof they have completed an approved bowhunter education course or show evidence of having been licensed for an archery-only hunt in Idaho or another state, or complete an affidavit to that effect ...
A: Great question.  The answer is it depends, so stick with me a moment and I will try and clear it up.  During an archery only season crossbows are illegal. (Except, disabled hunters possessing a permit available at IDFG offices may use a crosbow) Crossbows are legal during short-range and any ...
A: If it's a permanent injury, then yes, it’s called a Disabled Persons Archery Hunting Permit Application and it’s available at any Fish and Game office or online here: The criteria for application are:Each application shall be ...
A: There are weapon restrictions for the taking of migratory birds.  Code of Federal Reguations 20.21 prohibits the taking of migratory birds with any shotgun capable of holding more than 3 shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler, incapable of removal without disassebling the gun, so its ...
A: You can hunt forest grouse with an air rifle with a valid hunting license and when they are in season. You can shoot preditory animals such as starlings, ferral pigeons, english sparrows, and Eurasian Collared doves. There are no other species or seasons for air rifles.
A: Yes. Any person hunting in an archery only hunt must have an archery permit in possession. The same rule applies for muzzleloader hunts too. Any person hunting in a muzzleloader only hunt must have a muzzleloader permit in possession.
A: Page 98 of the 2015-16 Big Game rules pamphlet states that a broadhead cannot measure less than 7/8 inch, and that the entire arrow must weigh at least 300 grains.
A: Good question and good catch! The language in the big game regulations and seasons booklet and the moose, bighorn sheep, and mountain goat booklet don't match--and they should. The Idaho Administrative Procedures Act contains regulations (e.g., IDAPA ) that prohibit the use of ...
A: Hunts opening Saturday in the Owyhees unlikely to change With controlled deer and pronghorns hunts opening in Unit 40 in portions of Owyhee County Saturday, Aug. 15, Idaho Fish and Game is monitoring the Soda Fire, but not closing or altering hunts at this time, nor expecting to in the immediate ...
A: Wolf hunting tags can be used for either hunting or trapping, while wolf trapping tags can only be used for trapping. Thus, hunters may take up to 5 wolves, and trappers may take up to 10.
A: Field days are offered throughout the calendar year at various times, depending on where you live. More than 14,000 students continually take and pass hunter education in Idaho each year. Classes and field days change often and new opportunities are added constantly, so keep checking the website. ...
A: Can you use a non-resident elk tag to tag a deer if both seasons are open?  The answer is No.  Non-resident deer and elk tags may be used to take a black bear, mountain lion or grey wolf when both seasons are open, but elk tags may not be used on deer.  Page 110 in the Big game regulations ...
A: Yes you can do what you have described.  Drive your ATV up an open trail with your hunting equipment and camping equipment. Leave your ATV parked along side the trail then continue up hiking to a camping spot. Camp overnight then return the next morning to your ATV to return home.
A: You will need to provide a statement from the social security administration on their letterhead explaining the individual(s) do not have a social security number. This documentation will need to be provided to an IDFG regional or headquarters office. We can then set up the individual(s) profile ...
A: Thank you for your question.  You can haul your camping equipment to your camp as long as the trail you are riding on is open for travel.  Your camp can include your rifle or bow, but you can not hunt on the ride in or out.  Hunting includes stopping to glass, scouting, etc.  Once your camp is ...
A: These hunts are designed to reduce depredation pressures from elk on private lands.  Elk will often move to private ground to avoid hunting pressure on public land thus causing impacts to private land owners.  They may be attracted to private land because of green lush pastures, irrigated farm ...
A: Browse here for the prices for our nonresident licenses and tags. Through the month of August this 2015 year, we have a discount for a second nonresident elk or deer tag, as well. A license is required for the purchase of an elk tag.
A: There are no changes to hunting seasons as of 8/28/2015. There are several access restrictions in place, however. Review this news release for more information and visit our fire page to keep up with closures and resources for real-time information.  
A: You can use a rifle chambered in .45 Long Colt to hunt deer in an Any Weapon season.   Weapon restrictions for deer hunting with a rilfe in an Any Weapon hunt are: must weight under 16lbs, can not be fully automatic, can not be a rimfire.  These and other weapon restrictions can be found on page ...
A: This year's fire season is no doubt putting both hunters and IDFG in a tough spot.  We did consider the effects of the closures and the necessity for hunters to change areas because of the current fire closures.  For the following  reasons we made the decision to maintain the current season: We ...
A: The cost of a senior (65+) combination hunting and fishing license for residents is $11.75  A resident for the purposes of this senior discount was changed in 2015 to residing in Idaho for 6-months rather than 5-years.
A: Thank you for your question.  Idaho is a member state of the Wildlife Violator Compact (WVC) as are many other states including Utah.  If an individual’s hunting privileges are suspended in any of the member states, every state belonging to the WVC honors that suspension.  If your hunting ...
A: Yes.  During archery season your regular deer tag is valid during the season for either antlerless or antlered in the units outlined on page 12 of our big game brochure.  Be sure that the archery season is open under the antlerless column in the unit you wish to hunt on p. 12 at: http:// ...
A: Thank you for your comments.  Muzzleloader restrictions have gone through multiple revisions over the years at the request of several muzzleloader hunting groups in the state.  Idaho Fish and Game continues to be concerned with advancement in hunting equipment technology and the difference between ...
A: No as long as you are not hunting any live animal, you do not need a hunting license.
A: If you can show proof of having a valid hunting license in another state you are eligible to purchase an Idaho hunting license.
A: The Idaho Fish and Game Commission addressed the issue of lighted nocks, expandible broadheads, and other technology-related weapons restrictions a few months ago at their May 2015 meeting in Lewiston. At that time, the Commissioners voted unanimously to NOT accept any modifications to the current ...
A: Thank you for sharing your observations and your idea for consideration.   There has been an increase in the number of white-tailed deer seen along the middlefork and southfork of the Payette.  Currently, white-tailed deer can be harvested by anyone who has a valid general any weapon, regular deer ...
A: In Idaho, coyotes can be hunted by anyone possessing a hunting license (age 10 and up) or hunting passport (age 8).
A: You can purchase your elk tag at any Idaho Fish and Game office or license vendor in the state, regardless of location.
A: Both a hunting license and hound hunter permit are required to pursue raccoons.  Page 99 in the Big Game Rules covers Black Bear and Mountain Lions.  Page 47 in the Upland Game and Furbearer rules states, the following persons must have a valid hound hunter permit in possession when dogs are being ...
A: I want to thank you for taking the time to write about the tag and permit fees paid by those holding senior licenses.  The Department of Fish and Game does not receive any financial support from the state’s general fund. Therefore, the funding for Idaho’s fish and wildlife programs comes solely ...
A: Quail can be hunted on the WMAs as long as the quail season is open. A pheasant permit is only needed on a WMA that pheasants are released on and only if you are hunting pheasants.
A: There are many reasons that animals are harvested throughout the world.  These reasons fall into some general categories such as for food and clothing, biological reasons (e.g., control disease, overabundance), and social (e.g., protect livestock or crops, to reduce wildlife/automobile collisions ...
A: Antlerless deer are: Deer without antlers or with antlers shorter than 3 inches may be taken in a season open for antlerless deer or either sex. Please consult the current Big Game Seasons and Rules for seasons and specifics on hunting in each unit. Thanks.
A: The Mormon Reservoir waterfowl closure has been in place for many decades.  It was implemented to provide a sanctuary in hopes of encouraging Canada geese to stay on the Camas Prairie later in the season (until ice up).  Anecdotal reports suggest this closure has been successful in holding ...
A: The rules state you may not use any chemicals or explosives attached to the arrow or bolt.  A maghead is designed as an exploding device so no, you cannot legally use them during any season in Idaho.  See page 98 in our big game brochure.
A: All hunters must have a valid Idaho hunting license and the appropriate tags or permits in their possession while hunting. See our seasons and rules section for more information and rules regarding hunter education.
A: The Idaho bowhunter online coursehas been updated and no longer requires a field day to obtain certification. This was changed January 1, 2015. If you completed the online course in 2014, you can log back into the course at  to print your certification card. If ...
A: Please review the Disabled Hunter Companion Rules at and then give us a call at 208-334-3700 if you need further assistance. Thank you.
A: Your Colorado Hunter Education Certificate will work just fine.  As long as you took the course through the Colorado Fish and Game dept.   Bring the certificates with you to Idaho and you shouldnt have any worries !!!   Have a great hunting trip !!!  
A: It is legal to hunt in Idaho with a suppressor. Keep in mind that there is a federal permit required to possess a suppressor in Idaho and the weight of your weapon must stay under 16 lbs.
A: Great question, please follow me through to the end.  Page 95 in the Big game rules states:  It is unlawful to shoot from or across the traveled portion, shoulders or embankments of any road maintained by any government entity.  The rule is under Chapter 15 of the Idaho Code: Public Safety section ...
A: Sorry, we don't have a fishing passport - but it's a really good idea.  The hunting passport is a way to expose people to hunting prior to taking hunter education and making a large time and financial commitment to the sport.  Fishing is different in the fact we don't require any pre-sport ...
A: The Department knows about this issue with the hunting passport and has taken steps to address the issue. New rules have been proposed by the Idaho Fish and Game Commission to address the nine (9) year olds but those rules must be approved by the Idaho legislature in its next session. Information ...
A: To purchase the Jr. Mentored/DAV tags, a person must possess a Jr. Mentored hunting license, a Jr. Hunting Passport or a Disabled American Veteran hunting license. If you do not have one of these license types, the system will only offer the full priced tags.
A: Idaho is blessed with many backcountry elk hunting spots and many big game units with few roads or motorized traffic allowed.  Wilderness hunts provide hunters the opportunity to get away from road hunters.  Archery hunters like to hunt during archery only seasons typically so the largest ...
A: A felony conviction that has made an individual a "prevented possessor” has no bearing on their ability to purchase a hunting license in Idaho. If the board of Pardons and Parole has revoked your right to possess a firearm in Idaho, you will not be allowed to possess a black powder or muzzle- ...
A: No, it is not legal to shoot across a road on the WMA. However, if you check out the WMA Map at , you may note that many of the "roads" you observe on Fort Boise WMA are actually designated as walking trails.  You should be able to hunt the area ...
A: To certify in hunter education you must take our instructor-led in class course OR the online course and the in class field day. The field day is mandatory for everyone. The field day includes a written examination and field exercise examination. Students must show and demonstrate their knowledge ...
A: If you have a Regular Deer Tag, you can hunt mule or white-tail deer unless indicated otherwises in the Big Game Seasons & Rules.  You must hunt per the General Regular Deer Season and NOT per the White-tail Regular Season.  As for what sex is legal to hunt, please consult the Big Game Seasons ...
A: To be sure and safe, please check page 12 of the Big Game Seasons and Rules brochure. There are specific dates for hunting each species (mule deer / white-tailed) of deer. Thanks!
A: Thank you for the question. The Department put together a team last winter to look at these types of rules and will be making a recommendation to simplify and make youth hunting opportunities more consistent. These rules will need to be approved by the Idaho Fish and Game Commission and be ...
A: You possibly can without any magnification; you will need to fill out an application form that you can get at any of our FG regional offices. The application form you need is a special weapon reasonable modification hunting permit. This form will need to be filled out by you and signed by your ...
A: A hunting passport can be purchased at any vendor.  The passport can be used the same day as it is purchased.
A: BLM, USFS and state managed lands are mostly accessible to the public.  Some lands such as parks, recreation areas near lakes, around buildings, campgrounds, compounds, etc. usually have a safety zone buffer.  If a piece of public land is not specifically posted with signs it is open to hunting.  ...
A: You may hunt the appropriate seasons for the tag you possess as listed in the current years big game rule booklets. For example if you purchase an Elk City B elk tag and an archery permit in 2015, you may participate in the early archery season and if you don't harvest in that season, you may ...
A: Good Question.  Page 100 in the Big Game Regulations states:  The validated tag must remain attached to the carcass until the meat is processed and reaches the place of final storage and consumption.  So if you have the animal processed... keep the validated tag with the meat until you reach your ...
A: In order to best answer your question, we need some additional information.  Please call the Idaho Fish and Game Headquarters office at 208-334-3700. Thank you.
A: Yes
A: This is acutally a pretty good question and is bigger than just the Commissary Ridge area as controlled fires (fires actually ignited for a management purpose) can occur just about anywhere. Controlled fires are a fairly complex topic but their purpose is one that hunters and wildlife enthusiasts ...
A: Our deer tags are not sold for a particular weapon usage.  You can hunt the early Archery Season, and, if you don't harvest, you can hunt the Any Weapon Season.  To hunt the Archery Only, you are required to purchase the Archery Permit.  If you were to harvest in the Archery Season and wish to ...
A: Yes
A: This gun is legal for Idaho muzzle loader hunts as long as all other rules are followed
A: The situation you describe, as two juveniles age 16-18 desiring to go hunting alone, does not require you to be with an adult in order to go hunting as long as you are residents of the state of Idaho and you hold the correct license and or tag.  You may be thinking of restrictions placed on " ...
A: There is not a handicapped rate for lifetime licenses.  These fees are set by law as a formula using the resident adult license rates (IDAPA 36-413).
A: This issue is addressed by state law in Idaho Code 36-1101   Idaho Code 36-1101(3) addresses communication of information to persons on the ground, making it unlawful to make use aircraft in any manner to spot or locate game ...
A: Yes, as long as supplies last and the season is still current where you're hunting. Learn how many tags are available and other facts about second tags at
A: First, a very good and timely question.  As you know, the either-sex portion of the general elk season was eliminated several years ago in the Panhandle, primarily due to low calf:cow ratios that were observed during our winter helicopter surveys.  This was especially true in Units 4, 6, and 7.  ...
A: The Idaho Fish & Game Commission evaluated nonresident deer and elk tag sales at their July 2015 meeting.  At that time, nonresident tag sales were higher compared to the previous 2 years and projected to remain strong; reflecting improved hunting expectations and a recovering economy.  After ...
A: You can purchase multiple wolf tags at a time.  Hunters may buy up to five gray wolf hunting tags per calendar year. Certified wolf trappers may buy up to five gray wolf trapping tags per trapping season for use in those zones with an open trapping season. For more information about wolf hunting, ...
A: The short range weapon restriction is for big game hunting only.  Small game and predators do not have a short range restriction.   In Valley County red fox may only be taken by trapping methods.
A: Following successful completion of the online bowhunter course you receive a certification card to print. The record of your certification will be stored with Idaho Fish and Game if you ever lose this card.
A: You can use archery equipment in an any weapon hunt without obtaining an archery permit.   An archery permit is only required for an archery only period.
A: Hunters can hunt over agricultural crops as long as the growing process follows normal agricultural guidelines that are reccommended by county extension agents.
A: Railroad rights of way are private property.  One should always ask permission to hunt on private property. Even though the railroad right of way may not be posted ‘no trespassing’ a hunter could be held civilly and criminally liable for damages that may occur on any private property. 
A: Good question.  Page 18 of the upland bird regulations lists unlawful methods of take for Upland game birds-- and a crossbow is an unlawful method of take, so it would not be legal.  Shotguns are legal during turkey hunts and would give you some options for hunting on your property.  Good Luck ...
A: The senior license rates do not take effect until the day you actually turn age 65.
A: In Idaho, plague is largely a disease of rodents and is usually a summer time occurrence.  Rabbits are unlikely to contract plaque and since colonial rodents like ground squirrels are underground at this time of the year, the plaque bacteria is unlikely to circulate in species that do not have ...
A: Traps and snares can be legally set on federal, state, and private land.  Many of the IDFG Wildlife Mangement Areas do not allow trapping during the pheasant season but allow hunting and there are many dogs and hunters on these properties during the fall and early winter.  Public land is open to ...
A: Idaho code 36-1101(b)1 states: It is unlawful to hunt any of the game animals or game birds of this state from or by the use of any motorized vehicle except as provided by commission rule;  There is an exception for holders of a valid Hadicapped Person's Motor Vehicle Hunting Permit who may shoot ...
A: As a hunter you can purchase 5 wolf tags per calendar year (January 1 through December 31).  As long as you have taken the required wolf trapping class and have a trapping license, you can purchase 5 wolf trapping tags per trapping year (July 1 through June 30).  This could result in the purchase ...
A: Yes, there should be coyotes down in that area.  But there are many places to hunt coyotes near Twin Falls--the South Hills, Shoshone Basin, the desert west of Rogerson, the desert north of Gooding or the desert around Shoshone, and many others.  The best way to find coyotes is to look for sign, ...
A: The only rule is shells cannot exceed 3 1/2 inches. There is no rule on barrel length or shell capacity in a shotgun.
A: That area is a little tough to hunt because in many places it is a very narrow strip of land between the road and river.  You can hunt on private land along the river with permission from the landowner or along any public land that is open. We emphasize safety and respect for property.  Also, it ...
A: Yes, Native Americans have a tribal hunting season that is longer than the season established by the State of Idaho. It commonly goes from August through the end of December. They are allowed to hunt on unoccupied federal public lands outside the of the reservation boundaries which does take in at ...
A: A harvested bobcat must be turned into Fish and Game to have a CITES tag attached to it, regardless of the method of take (this includes salvageed road kill). Yes, you will be charged for the tag and vendor fee. A fee of $2 will be charged for each pelt tag. An additional $1.75 vendor fee will be ...
A: Idaho has nonresident over-the-counter tags available for deer and elk. The over-the-counter tag is called our "general" tag and is good for mule deer or white-tailed deer. We also have controlled hunt tags for deer and elk. If a nonresident purchased a general tag prior to drawing a controlled ...
A: If you were born after January 1, 1975, yes you will need to complete hunters education prior to purchasing a nongame hunting license. Here is the Idaho Law regarding hunters education. Idaho Code 36-411.  Certificate of completion. (a) Hunter education.  No hunting license shall be issued to a ...
A: Hunting without a proper license and hunting without a proper tag are misdemeanor violations in Idaho.  Idaho Code 36-1402 states that penalty for a misdemeanor violation is a fine of $25 to $1000, up to six months in jail, and up to three years of license revocation.
A: On page 98 of the Big Game Seasons and Rules it expains archery rules. You cannot have anything electronic attached to a bow, arrow, or bolt.
A: In Idaho, upland game birds (except forest grouse) may be taken with a firearm as long as the firearm is classified as a shotgun.  This can be found on page 18 of the 2014-2015 Upland Game, Furbearer and Turkey regulations.  18 USC 921 states: The term “shotgun” means a weapon designed or ...
A: Good Question, Some of the criteria for areas where spotlight permits are not authorized are: in areas where livestock or big game are present during any general or controlled hunt within 1 mile of any residence, or camp Other permit restrictions are: lights may not be attached to or operated from ...
A: An adult nonresident elk tag may be used to harvest an elk, bear, mountain lion or gray wolf if  a season is open for that species where and when the elk tag is valid. It cannot be used to harvest a deer. Hunters can purchase an adult nonresident general season elk tag as a second tag as long as ...
A: The Owyhee Units general season only allows harvest of young bucks to limit the overall harvest.  The units are mostly considered a high desert that generally supports a lower deer density because the area is limited by water and seasonal forage.  Also, the area is relatively open which generates ...