Ask Fish & Game

Ask Fish and Game is for general questions.
  • Not all questions are answered.
  • Urgent questions should be directed to your nearest office.
  • Some answers change over time; please take note of the "answered-on" date.

Previously answered questions are posted here.

Displaying 1 - 100 of 945 questions
Question Askedsort ascending
A: Idaho Code 36-404 (b) states: Class 4: Senior Resident Combination License. Licenses to be issued only to persons over sixty-five (65) years of age who meet the definition of "resident" pursuant to the provisions of section 36-202, Idaho Code. Idaho Code 36-413 (e) states: A lifetime certificate ...
A: Yes, however there are some stipulations and restrictions. The most pertinent are: 1. Hunting is only authorized on public lands that allow shooting and public access/presence. 2. Permit does not authorize hunting on private property; a separate landowner signed permission slip must be obtained. 3 ...
A: The deer do not need supplemental feed to survive.  Typically when deer are fed they concentrate in the area of feeding denuding the vegetation close by and passing disease through contact at the feeders.  Also, deer when being fed tend to keep the youngest from the feeders and frequently cause ...
A: You cannot purchase a resident limited deer controlled hunt tag and a resident general season deer tag in the same season. However, if you draw the limited deer controlled hunt tag in unit 18 and purchase the resident deer controlled hunt tag, the only other general season deer tag you may ...
A: For general deer season in Unit 38 you can hunt the short-range weapon season and/or the archery only season.  Both the Regular Deer Tag and the White-tailed Deer Tag are available to be used in Unit 38; but make sure your tag matches the season and method, and species your are hunting.  The ...
A: No. The equipment restrictions you mentioned are only for Big Game. All that is needed is a fishing license and good aim!
A: Domestic wildlife (deer and elk) are considered livestock and are therefore managed by Idaho Department of Agriculture.  You would have to contact them for rules and regulations regarding game farming.
A: A hunter education certification from another state would qualify for purchasing a hunting license in Idaho. This includes online and instructor-led courses. States vary whether they accept non-residents into hunter education courses. To find out contact the hunter education program in the state ...
A: Idaho Fish and Game Commission rules for controlled hunts state: In controlled hunts with ten (10) or fewer tags, not more than one (1) nonresident tag will be issued. In controlled hunts, EXCEPT unlimited controlled hunts, with more than ten (10) tags, not more than ten percent (10%) of the tags ...
A: There is no state code preventing the use of suppressors for the purposes of hunting. other Applicable federal laws may come into play.
A: The answer provided below is a reprint from a similar question asked by another individual.     Idaho no longer restricts felons' possession of archery equipment. In general, there are fewer restrictions for weapons that do not involve explosive action.   PLEASE NOTE: Individuals convicted of ...
A: Yes they are legal for turkeys but not for big game.  So you must be careful if there is a big game season occuring while you are hunting turkeys because you could be in violation if you are also hunting big game.
A: No birds may be shot without a license. Unprotected non-native species, such as European Starlings and Eurasian Collared-doves, may be taken year-round by those possessing a valid hunting license.
A: There are several exceptions to the Motorized Hunting Rule (page 102 of the 2015-2016 Big Game Seasons and Rules).  One of these state: Hunters may use a motorized vehicle to retrieve downed game if such travel is allowed by the land owner or manager.  This would apply to both public and private ...
A: Thank you for your question. Yes, you may take a picture of your license and store it on your mobile device as proof of having a license. We do not have any plans to build an app for licensing. However, we do have a mobile optimized website and those who purchase their license via a mobile device ...
A: A hunting license IS required to hunt or take any wildlife in Idaho, including unprotected and predatory wildlife. Most ground squirrels are classified as unprotected wildlife and can be hunted by persons holding a valid hunting license.  Be aware, there are several species of ground squirrel that ...
A: IDFG sometimes implements a Controlled Hunt with an Unlimited number of tags as an intermediate step between a general season hunt and a controlled hunt with a limited number of tags when there is a concern about total hunter numbers and harvest  in the hunt area. If hunting pressure is too high ...
A: There are no rules regulating suppressors, sometimes referred to as “silencers”, and big game hunting in Idaho   As long as the owner has complied with all federal regulations regarding the possession of suppressors and as long as the firearm does not violate any of the other big game weapon ...
A: Yes you need to have  a current hunting license to hunt rabbits in Idaho.
A: Yes, coyotes are classified as predatory wildlife in the state of Idaho and may be taken in any numbers, year round, and with crossbows, by the holders of the appropriate hunting license. The weapons restrictions that exist for big game do not apply to predatory or unprotected wildlife.   Josh ...
A: You are correct in that Idaho law does not allow the use of drones for tracking, harassing, communicating or filming big game animals of the state of Idaho for the purpose of hunting.   Hunting exotics is another story and a great question.  As long as you have complied with all federal ...
A: Yes
A: Starlings are classified in Idaho as a predator and can be controlled by almost any means, but a license or permit is required for the individual doing the control action.   However the depredation control folks at Wildlife Services (208-373-1630) can help control migratory wildlife which are ...
A: Lighted bow sights would be legal when hunting turkeys.  Prohibition of lighted sights only applies to the hunting of big game.
A: Provided you possess the appropriate federal paperwork, suppressors are legal for hunting in Idaho.
A: No its not legal. Wolves can only be hunted from one half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunset. They have shooting hours.
A: Provided you possess the proper federal paperwork, suppressors are legal for hunting in Idaho.
A: Yes, several WMAs have turkeys.  Two of the better known WMAs include Craig Mt. WMA and Cecil Andrus, but they also occur on Fort Boise, Boise River, and in eastern Idaho.  Depending on where you live you may be able to find turkeys on WMAs.  You can call the local regional office to get more ...
A: Yes, the cropped areas of Roswell Marsh Wildlife Habitat Area are available to hunt. All IDFG ground part of Roswell Marsh Wildlife Habitat Area north of Highway 18 is currently open for hunting. The wetland portion south of Highway 18 is closed from 1 February – 31 July for waterfowl nesting. For ...
A: Ground squirrels (sometimes called "whistle pigs") in southern Ada County are predominately the type called "Piute ground squirrel."  This species is considered to be Unprotected Wildlife in Idaho Administrative Code (IDAPA 13.01.06).  IDAPA 13.01.06, Section 300.03 states: "Those species of ...
A: The central portion of Fort Boise WMA is closed from February 1 – July 31 for waterfowl nesting. Remaining areas of the WMA are still open to public access, but the hunting of white-fronted and light geese (Blue, Ross’s, and Snow) on any portion of the WMA is not allowed after January 31st. On ...
A: "Take" is defined in statute (Idaho Code 36-202(i)). ""Take" means hunt, pursue, catch, capture, shoot, fish, seine, trap, kill, or possess or any attempt to so do."    
A: Antler traps are legal as long as the animal is not harmed by the "trap". If placing an antler trap on public ground, check with the land management agency, they may have restrictions on placing items that are left unattended. One word of caution, if using bait to attract animals to the antler ...
A: The access sites along the Clearwater River east of Lewiston are mainly to provide boating and fishing access.  Be aware that all hunting is closed in the Lewiston Preserve, from Lewiston east to the railroad bridge at Spaulding. The Nez Perce National Historical Park in Nez Perce County is also ...
A: A violation of the Motorized Hunting Rule is Misdemeanor in Idaho, which comes with a penalty of a fine of $25-$1,000, and or up to 6 months in jail. It also comes with the potential of a license revocation of up to 3 years. there is no mandatory minimum for the fine or the license revocation as ...
A: Even if you harvested a bear on a controlled hunt tag, you could purchase a second bear tag.  This would allow you to hunt the spring or fall general season.   However, if you were to harvest during the general spring bear season on the general season bear tag, you would be done for the year.
A: If you are 16 there are no age restrictions for hunting coyotes. There is currently no age restriction for a spotlight permit.
A: No
A: We are glad to hear that you and your son enjoy spending time hunting and fishing together. We appreciate your passing on the hunting and fishing legacy to your kids. Currently there is not an option for a junior/senior/DAV sportsmans package. This is something that has been discussed as part of  ...
A: You may target practice on BLM lands without a hunting license.
A: Black bear season is open in GMU 66A in the fall from Aug 30 - Oct 31.  The antlerless elk controlled hunt is Oct 25 - Nov 15.  For the first few days  of the elk season (Oct 25-31) you would be able to harvest a black bear.
A: For the 2016 year, the bear and antlerless elk hunt would be both be open only from October 25-31.   The bear is open October 1-31 and the controlled elk is open October 25-November 15.   Please be advised that these dates may differ in the future years beyond 2016.
A: The Owyhee Units general season only allows harvest of young bucks to limit the overall harvest.  The units are mostly considered a high desert that generally supports a lower deer density because the area is limited by water and seasonal forage.  Also, the area is relatively open which generates ...
A: An adult nonresident elk tag may be used to harvest an elk, bear, mountain lion or gray wolf if  a season is open for that species where and when the elk tag is valid. It cannot be used to harvest a deer. Hunters can purchase an adult nonresident general season elk tag as a second tag as long as ...
A: Good Question, Some of the criteria for areas where spotlight permits are not authorized are: in areas where livestock or big game are present during any general or controlled hunt within 1 mile of any residence, or camp Other permit restrictions are: lights may not be attached to or operated from ...
A: In Idaho, upland game birds (except forest grouse) may be taken with a firearm as long as the firearm is classified as a shotgun.  This can be found on page 18 of the 2014-2015 Upland Game, Furbearer and Turkey regulations.  18 USC 921 states: The term “shotgun” means a weapon designed or ...
A: On page 98 of the Big Game Seasons and Rules it expains archery rules. You cannot have anything electronic attached to a bow, arrow, or bolt.
A: Hunting without a proper license and hunting without a proper tag are misdemeanor violations in Idaho.  Idaho Code 36-1402 states that penalty for a misdemeanor violation is a fine of $25 to $1000, up to six months in jail, and up to three years of license revocation.
A: If you were born after January 1, 1975, yes you will need to complete hunters education prior to purchasing a nongame hunting license. Here is the Idaho Law regarding hunters education. Idaho Code 36-411.  Certificate of completion. (a) Hunter education.  No hunting license shall be issued to a ...
A: Idaho has nonresident over-the-counter tags available for deer and elk. The over-the-counter tag is called our "general" tag and is good for mule deer or white-tailed deer. We also have controlled hunt tags for deer and elk. If a nonresident purchased a general tag prior to drawing a controlled ...
A: A harvested bobcat must be turned into Fish and Game to have a CITES tag attached to it, regardless of the method of take (this includes salvageed road kill). Yes, you will be charged for the tag and vendor fee. A fee of $2 will be charged for each pelt tag. An additional $1.75 vendor fee will be ...
A: Yes, Native Americans have a tribal hunting season that is longer than the season established by the State of Idaho. It commonly goes from August through the end of December. They are allowed to hunt on unoccupied federal public lands outside the of the reservation boundaries which does take in at ...
A: That area is a little tough to hunt because in many places it is a very narrow strip of land between the road and river.  You can hunt on private land along the river with permission from the landowner or along any public land that is open. We emphasize safety and respect for property.  Also, it ...
A: The only rule is shells cannot exceed 3 1/2 inches. There is no rule on barrel length or shell capacity in a shotgun.
A: Yes, there should be coyotes down in that area.  But there are many places to hunt coyotes near Twin Falls--the South Hills, Shoshone Basin, the desert west of Rogerson, the desert north of Gooding or the desert around Shoshone, and many others.  The best way to find coyotes is to look for sign, ...
A: As a hunter you can purchase 5 wolf tags per calendar year (January 1 through December 31).  As long as you have taken the required wolf trapping class and have a trapping license, you can purchase 5 wolf trapping tags per trapping year (July 1 through June 30).  This could result in the purchase ...
A: Idaho code 36-1101(b)1 states: It is unlawful to hunt any of the game animals or game birds of this state from or by the use of any motorized vehicle except as provided by commission rule;  There is an exception for holders of a valid Hadicapped Person's Motor Vehicle Hunting Permit who may shoot ...
A: Traps and snares can be legally set on federal, state, and private land.  Many of the IDFG Wildlife Mangement Areas do not allow trapping during the pheasant season but allow hunting and there are many dogs and hunters on these properties during the fall and early winter.  Public land is open to ...
A: In Idaho, plague is largely a disease of rodents and is usually a summer time occurrence.  Rabbits are unlikely to contract plaque and since colonial rodents like ground squirrels are underground at this time of the year, the plaque bacteria is unlikely to circulate in species that do not have ...
A: The senior license rates do not take effect until the day you actually turn age 65.
A: Good question.  Page 18 of the upland bird regulations lists unlawful methods of take for Upland game birds-- and a crossbow is an unlawful method of take, so it would not be legal.  Shotguns are legal during turkey hunts and would give you some options for hunting on your property.  Good Luck ...
A: Railroad rights of way are private property.  One should always ask permission to hunt on private property. Even though the railroad right of way may not be posted ‘no trespassing’ a hunter could be held civilly and criminally liable for damages that may occur on any private property. 
A: Hunters can hunt over agricultural crops as long as the growing process follows normal agricultural guidelines that are reccommended by county extension agents.
A: You can use archery equipment in an any weapon hunt without obtaining an archery permit.   An archery permit is only required for an archery only period.
A: Following successful completion of the online bowhunter course you receive a certification card to print. The record of your certification will be stored with Idaho Fish and Game if you ever lose this card.
A: The short range weapon restriction is for big game hunting only.  Small game and predators do not have a short range restriction.   In Valley County red fox may only be taken by trapping methods.
A: You can purchase multiple wolf tags at a time.  Hunters may buy up to five gray wolf hunting tags per calendar year. Certified wolf trappers may buy up to five gray wolf trapping tags per trapping season for use in those zones with an open trapping season. For more information about wolf hunting, ...
A: The Idaho Fish & Game Commission evaluated nonresident deer and elk tag sales at their July 2015 meeting.  At that time, nonresident tag sales were higher compared to the previous 2 years and projected to remain strong; reflecting improved hunting expectations and a recovering economy.  After ...
A: First, a very good and timely question.  As you know, the either-sex portion of the general elk season was eliminated several years ago in the Panhandle, primarily due to low calf:cow ratios that were observed during our winter helicopter surveys.  This was especially true in Units 4, 6, and 7.  ...
A: Yes, as long as supplies last and the season is still current where you're hunting. Learn how many tags are available and other facts about second tags at
A: This issue is addressed by state law in Idaho Code 36-1101   Idaho Code 36-1101(3) addresses communication of information to persons on the ground, making it unlawful to make use aircraft in any manner to spot or locate game ...
A: There is not a handicapped rate for lifetime licenses.  These fees are set by law as a formula using the resident adult license rates (IDAPA 36-413).
A: The situation you describe, as two juveniles age 16-18 desiring to go hunting alone, does not require you to be with an adult in order to go hunting as long as you are residents of the state of Idaho and you hold the correct license and or tag.  You may be thinking of restrictions placed on " ...
A: This gun is legal for Idaho muzzle loader hunts as long as all other rules are followed
A: Yes
A: Our deer tags are not sold for a particular weapon usage.  You can hunt the early Archery Season, and, if you don't harvest, you can hunt the Any Weapon Season.  To hunt the Archery Only, you are required to purchase the Archery Permit.  If you were to harvest in the Archery Season and wish to ...
A: This is acutally a pretty good question and is bigger than just the Commissary Ridge area as controlled fires (fires actually ignited for a management purpose) can occur just about anywhere. Controlled fires are a fairly complex topic but their purpose is one that hunters and wildlife enthusiasts ...
A: Yes
A: In order to best answer your question, we need some additional information.  Please call the Idaho Fish and Game Headquarters office at 208-334-3700. Thank you.
A: Good Question.  Page 100 in the Big Game Regulations states:  The validated tag must remain attached to the carcass until the meat is processed and reaches the place of final storage and consumption.  So if you have the animal processed... keep the validated tag with the meat until you reach your ...
A: You may hunt the appropriate seasons for the tag you possess as listed in the current years big game rule booklets. For example if you purchase an Elk City B elk tag and an archery permit in 2015, you may participate in the early archery season and if you don't harvest in that season, you may ...
A: BLM, USFS and state managed lands are mostly accessible to the public.  Some lands such as parks, recreation areas near lakes, around buildings, campgrounds, compounds, etc. usually have a safety zone buffer.  If a piece of public land is not specifically posted with signs it is open to hunting.  ...
A: A hunting passport can be purchased at any vendor.  The passport can be used the same day as it is purchased.
A: You possibly can without any magnification; you will need to fill out an application form that you can get at any of our FG regional offices. The application form you need is a special weapon reasonable modification hunting permit. This form will need to be filled out by you and signed by your ...
A: Thank you for the question. The Department put together a team last winter to look at these types of rules and will be making a recommendation to simplify and make youth hunting opportunities more consistent. These rules will need to be approved by the Idaho Fish and Game Commission and be ...
A: To be sure and safe, please check page 12 of the Big Game Seasons and Rules brochure. There are specific dates for hunting each species (mule deer / white-tailed) of deer. Thanks!
A: If you have a Regular Deer Tag, you can hunt mule or white-tail deer unless indicated otherwises in the Big Game Seasons & Rules.  You must hunt per the General Regular Deer Season and NOT per the White-tail Regular Season.  As for what sex is legal to hunt, please consult the Big Game Seasons ...
A: To certify in hunter education you must take our instructor-led in class course OR the online course and the in class field day. The field day is mandatory for everyone. The field day includes a written examination and field exercise examination. Students must show and demonstrate their knowledge ...
A: No, it is not legal to shoot across a road on the WMA. However, if you check out the WMA Map at , you may note that many of the "roads" you observe on Fort Boise WMA are actually designated as walking trails.  You should be able to hunt the area ...
A: A felony conviction that has made an individual a "prevented possessor” has no bearing on their ability to purchase a hunting license in Idaho. If the board of Pardons and Parole has revoked your right to possess a firearm in Idaho, you will not be allowed to possess a black powder or muzzle- ...
A: Idaho is blessed with many backcountry elk hunting spots and many big game units with few roads or motorized traffic allowed.  Wilderness hunts provide hunters the opportunity to get away from road hunters.  Archery hunters like to hunt during archery only seasons typically so the largest ...
A: To purchase the Jr. Mentored/DAV tags, a person must possess a Jr. Mentored hunting license, a Jr. Hunting Passport or a Disabled American Veteran hunting license. If you do not have one of these license types, the system will only offer the full priced tags.
A: The Department knows about this issue with the hunting passport and has taken steps to address the issue. New rules have been proposed by the Idaho Fish and Game Commission to address the nine (9) year olds but those rules must be approved by the Idaho legislature in its next session. Information ...
A: Sorry, we don't have a fishing passport - but it's a really good idea.  The hunting passport is a way to expose people to hunting prior to taking hunter education and making a large time and financial commitment to the sport.  Fishing is different in the fact we don't require any pre-sport ...
A: Great question, please follow me through to the end.  Page 95 in the Big game rules states:  It is unlawful to shoot from or across the traveled portion, shoulders or embankments of any road maintained by any government entity.  The rule is under Chapter 15 of the Idaho Code: Public Safety section ...
A: It is legal to hunt in Idaho with a suppressor. Keep in mind that there is a federal permit required to possess a suppressor in Idaho and the weight of your weapon must stay under 16 lbs.
A: Your Colorado Hunter Education Certificate will work just fine.  As long as you took the course through the Colorado Fish and Game dept.   Bring the certificates with you to Idaho and you shouldnt have any worries !!!   Have a great hunting trip !!!  
A: Please review the Disabled Hunter Companion Rules at and then give us a call at 208-334-3700 if you need further assistance. Thank you.
A: The Idaho bowhunter online coursehas been updated and no longer requires a field day to obtain certification. This was changed January 1, 2015. If you completed the online course in 2014, you can log back into the course at  to print your certification card. If ...
A: All hunters must have a valid Idaho hunting license and the appropriate tags or permits in their possession while hunting. See our seasons and rules section for more information and rules regarding hunter education.