Ask Fish & Game

Ask Fish and Game is for general questions.
  • Not all questions are answered.
  • Urgent questions should be directed to your nearest office.
  • Some answers change over time; please take note of the "answered-on" date.

Previously answered questions are posted here.

Displaying 1 - 23 of 23 questions
Question Askedsort ascending
A: The central portion of Fort Boise WMA is closed from February 1 – July 31 for waterfowl nesting. Remaining areas of the WMA are still open to public access, but the hunting of white-fronted and light geese (Blue, Ross’s, and Snow) on any portion of the WMA is not allowed after January 31st. On ...
A: Because snow geese are migratory game birds, the federal governments of the United States, Canada, and Mexico, under the authorities of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, are ultimately responsible for their protection and conservation in North America. In the United States, this responsibility has ...
A: Because snow geese are migratory game birds, the federal governments of the United States, Canada, and Mexico, under the authorities of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, are ultimately responsible for their protection and conservation in North America. In the United States, this responsibility has ...
A: No. Any person hunting migratory birds needs the validation.
A: It is legal to hunt geese with bow, however to hunt them within city limits requires you to check with the city in question.
A: Individuals can not sell migratory waterfowl mounts or otherwise under the Migratory Bird Act.  A couple narrow exceptions exist only for properly marked captive-reared waterfowl: These include: Taxidermist w/ Federal permit may sell mounts of properly marked captive-reared waterfowl.  50 CFR 21. ...
A: You are correct.  There is a moratorium on outfitted waterfowl hunts for licensed outfitters and only those outfitters grandfathered can continue doing so.  However, in 2013 Idaho law was changed to allow private land outfitting/guiding without a license.  Here is the specific language from Idaho ...
A: Pit blinds on private property are legal.   It is against the law to take migratory birds from a sink box (a low floating device having a depression affording the hunter a means of concealment beneath the survase of the water).
A: These opportunities are not available to sign up for online currently. To find volunteer opportunities such as you describe, please contact your local regional office:
A: According to their website there are two different "units" in the refuge..the Lake Lowell unit where goose hunting is prohibited and the Snake River unit where it is permitted. Please refer to the brochure you have listed ( or call the refuge for ...
A: Sorry for the delay in responding.  The rule is specific to Idaho Fish and Game lands only.  There is no such rule for other public or private lands.
A: I am not aware of any reports of waterfowl being injured or killed in Ann Morrison park or any other city park. Dogs running at large is controlled by local, municipal or county ordinances. The owner of a dog taking waterfowl in Anne Morrison Park is no more nor no less liable for that take, under ...
A: Setting waterfowl seasons is a cooperative effort among state and federal agencies.  The United States and Canada are divided into four flyways: the Atlantic, Mississippi, Central and Pacific.  Idaho is in the Pacific Flyway.  For each flyway, a framework is set for each hunting season and is the ...
A: Please contact Animals in Distress (367-1026).  They can help you determine if the geese need to be moved or helped.
A: Area 3 is the following counties--Ada, Boise, Canyon, Cassia, Elmore, Gem, Gooding, Jerome, Lincoln, Minidoka, Owyhee, Payette and Twin Falls and Washington . Please contact the Southwest Region office for information.  Their phone number is 208-465-8465.
A: The actual federal regulations state the following: It is against the law to take migratory game birds: • With a trap, snare, net, rifle, pistol, swivel gun, shotgun larger than a 10 gauge, punt gun, battery gun, machine gun, fishhook, poison, drug, explosive, or stupefying substance. • With any ...
A: When this season was first established, the IDFG took a long, hard look at when snow geese were arriving in Idaho during spring to determine whether or not it would make sense to have a season.  The framework for light goose hunting ends on March 10, so if snow geese arrived after March 10, there ...
A: During the general waterfowl season, shotguns must not be capable of holding more than 3 shells. However, during a light goose season that occurs in Feb adn March, a plug is not required. Also a plug is not required for upland game birds.
A: Canada geese are protected as migratory birds by the federal government and season framework is regulated by them.  However, we do have some leeway in how the rules are set in Idaho under their umbrella, and we have maximum allowable harvest opportunity in the area.  The problem with urban geese ...
A: Answer: Everything in wildlife management involves some compromise, with the goal of optimizing the solution for the greatest overall achievement in multiple conflicting goals.  So it is with snow goose seasons.    The ponds at Fort Boise WMA are a primary roosting area for snow geese as they ...
A: There is already a season on white-fronted geese or ‘specks’ in southwest Idaho.  White-fronted geese are dark geese and have the same season framework as Canada geese (another dark goose).  Pacific Flyway states like Idaho have a season framework that includes 107 days for dark goose hunting.  In ...
A: Currently, no.  Electronic calls can be used during the Conservation Order seasons in the mid-continent portion of North America.  The Conservation Order seasons were a result of extensive habitat damage caused by overabundant snow geese, and were only allowed through an act of Congress.   ...
A: The regulations for Spring Goose Hunts are available online.  The Spring Goose Hunts are primarily a private land hunting opportunity because geese are typically found feeding in agricultural fields. For more information please contact the Southeast Region at (208) 232-4703.