Ask Fish & Game

Ask Fish and Game is for general questions.
  • Not all questions are answered.
  • Urgent questions should be directed to your nearest office.
  • Some answers change over time; please take note of the "answered-on" date.

Previously answered questions are posted here.

Displaying 401 - 435 of 435 questions
Question Asked
A: A person whose name was drawn in an antlered-only controlled deer hunt may  not apply for any other controlled antlered-only deer hunt for one year except for the second deer, elk and pronghorn application period and leftover controlled hunt drawings or sales. • For example, a hunter who drew a ...
A: Specific zone information, including total numbers of bulls, cows, and calves in each survey can be found in our annual surveys and inventory reports on elk. The 2010 report is available on our website: ...
A: No.  There is no stipulation that you salvage the entire carcass.  You can salvage any part that you choose and leave the rest.
A: The deadline to pick up big game controlled hunt tags is August 1.  We will have a list of leftovers available on August 2 or 3.  The application period for the second draw for deer, elk, pronghorn and fall bear controlled hunts is August 5-15
A: Lighted nocks are not legal in Idaho.
A: Your general season tags must be exchanged for the controlled hunt tags.  This can only be done at a Fish and Game office or by mail. The mailing addresses is IDFG, License Department, P.O. Box 25, Boise ID, 83707.   Remember the August 1 deadline to get the tags to us for exchange.  
A: Yes.  If you don't pick up the tag by August 1, it will go into the second drawing.  That means that beginning August 2 you can purchase a general season tag instead.  This also applies to elk and pronghorn hunts.
A: No, you not required to report a mountain goat skull that you found while hiking.   For more information on the possession and sale of wildlife found dead, see page 75 of the 2012 Big Game Seasons and Rules booklet which states, “Parts of big game species – hides, horns, bones, antlers, elk teeth ...
A: The best place to get information on a hunt is to contact the region office directly. The phone number of the region office for the Island Park area is 208-525-7290.
A: Immobilizing drugs are sometimes used to capture and restrain a variety of wildlife for management, research, and public safety purposes in situations where other methods of capture are not practical.  The meat is deemed unfit for consupmption by humans or animals for a time period after the drug ...
A:     Idaho National Laboratory (INL) Elk and Pronghorn Permit information:   A pass is required from the Idaho Fish and Game office, 4279 Commerce Circle, Idaho Falls, to hunt elk in the Lemhi, Beaverhead or Snake River Elk Zones or pronghorn in Units 51, 58, or 63 within one-half mile inside the ...
A: Survival of elk calves depends on a number of factors, including disease, predators, nutrition, maternal care, weather, and accidents.  Generally, highest mortality in elk calves occurs during the first month of life, where predators can take a high percentage of calves.  During the mid-summer ...
A: Idaho Fish and Game will get notices out to the applicants who are drawn for a controlled hunt by Joly 10.  All hunters will be able to check online to see if they have been drawn  by July 10, also.  
A: Panhandle Zone Elk Seasons (2012) A Tags: Archery Only--Antlered only--Sept. 6-30 Any Weapon--Antlered only--Oct. 25-29 Muzzleloader Only--Antlered only--Nov. 20-Dec. 1 (open in unit 4 only) Archery only--Antlered only--Dec. 10-16 B Tags: Archery Only--Antlered only--Sept 6-12 Any Weapon--Antlered ...
A: To manage game in some of the elk zones we have established, we only allow a limited number of tags to be sold. The capped zones are: Dworshak zone B tags Lolo A & B tags Elk City zone B tags Selway zone A & B tags Middlefork zone A & B tags Salmon zone B tags Sawtooth zone A & B ...
A: Back in the 1990’s the application period for deer, elk, and pronghorn hunts began June 1 and ended June 30. That date has been moved up to May 1 through June 5. The Department’s big game biologists need the months of January, February, and March to determine the health and size of our deer and ...
A: Our notification deadline is July 10.  Results will be posted online by then.
A: July 10 is our official notification date.  You can start checking online at earlier than that.  In the past the results have been out in late June.
A: Yes, as long as you follow the salvage reporting requirments outlined at By notifying Idaho Fish and Game within 24 hours and completing reporting requirements (to obtain a free permit) within 72 hours, a person can now: Recover and keep wildlife species classified ...
A: Draw Results for Controlled Hunts for Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, Fall Bear and Fall Turkey: Successful applicants will be mailed a postcard in the mail by July 10.  The results will be posted online by July 10 at Mark your ...
A: Draw Results for Controlled Hunts for Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, Fall Bear and Fall Turkey: Successful applicants will be mailed a postcard in the mail by July 10.  The results will be posted online by July 10 at Mark your ...
A: Draw Results for Controlled Hunts for Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, Fall Bear and Fall Turkey: Successful applicants will be mailed a postcard in the mail by July 10.  The results will be posted online by July 10 at Mark your ...
A: As of June 8, 2012, there are 240 nonresident Selway A tags available.  Resident tags will go on sale in July.  
A: The deadline is June 5.
A: You must purchase a nonresident hunting license ($154.75) and pay the controlled hunt application fee ($14.75).  If you apply online ( or by phone (1-800-554-8685) there is an additional fee added for processing of approximately 3%.  
A: A person who has applied for a bighorn sheep, mountain goat, or moose controlled hunt may not apply for any other controlled hunt in the same year, except unlimited controlled hunts, a controlled black bear hunt, controlled turkey hunt, extra deer, extra elk, or extra pronghorn controlled hunts, ...
A: General season antlerless elk hunting was suspended in the Panhandle Elk Zone for the 2012 season due to poor calf recruitment and overall reductions in elk populations in several game management units.  The ellimination of the general season antlerless hunting was applied to the entire Panhandle ...
A: The wolf season information is in the 2012 Big Game Rules book on pages 66-69.  It has been added to the deer, elk, pronghorn, bear and mountain lion season information.  
A: The controlled hunt statistics have been posted on our website at
A: Information about prospecting for gold or other metals can be found at the website for the Idaho Department of Lands.  
A: That's a suggestion that hasn't been considered to date.  High cost of tags is one of three reasons nonresident hunters gave us for no longer coming to Idaho to hunt (wolf impacts on elk and the economy were the other two reasons cited in a 2009 survey).  Charging two or three times more for a ...
A: In recent years wolf numbers were increasing at about 15% per year in absence of hunting. Primary source of mortality was depredation control. In absence of that, perhaps 20% or so. Population Growth rate would slow as food availability became limited (numbers would not continue to grow ...
A: Please confirm my understanding. A nonresident application and elk tag needs to be purchased and then the controlled hunt is applied for? If successful for the general tag, then the controlled youth hunt is applied for? Is there a deadline on the controlled hunt application? Thanks   You do not ...
A: Local animal control, animal rescue, or law enforcement in emergencies and USDA Wildlife Services are good sources for help, information and advice.Idaho law allows people to trap or remove any wildlife to protect private property and personal safety, but just like the plumbing, sometimes it is ...
A: The Wildlife Department informed us today (March 30, 2012) that the statistics for 2011 big game harvest should be ready in 2 weeks...look for them in mid-April.