Ask Fish & Game

Ask Fish and Game is for general questions. Not all questions are answered. Urgent questions should be directed to your nearest office.

Some answers change over time; please take note of the "answered-on" date.

Displaying 351 - 400 of 420 questions
Question Askedsort descending
A: Major oversite on our part. The information is now posted on the website. Idaho Fish and Game is unable to release names of the Super Hunt winners.  Here's a synopsis of the results. 2 Pronghorn tags drawn for Idaho and Washington hunters. 2 ...
A: Thank you for asking. Those panels remain property of Idaho Department of Fish and Game. If you contact your local Fish and Game Office to let them know, our Landowner Sportsmen Coordinator will arrange to have them picked up so they can be distributed elsewhere.    
A: Yes, you can hunt the wounded animal.  However, you will need to comply with all relevant hunting rules such as: open elk season where you are at, correct zone elk tag, lawful hunting hours, don't shoot from or across a public road, and when the animal is harvested, it must be tagged with a ...
A: Yes, deer hunters can have their dog with them.  However, it is unlawful to hunt big game with dogs except black bears and mountain lions in certain units and with a valid hound hunter permit.  Idaho's definition of hunting is broad.  It is easier to comply with the law if you don't have a ' ...
A: In past regulation booklets deer youth hunst were restricted to youths age 17 and younger who are eligible to hunt big game by Idaho law. That youth hunt information was missed in the 2014 regulation booklets. It will be put back into the 2015 regulation booklets. For this year the only ...
A: .223 caliber centerfire weapons are legal.  It is unlawful to pursue or kill big game animals with any rimfire rifle or rimfire handgun. Idaho does not have a magazine capacity restriction.
A: It is unlawful to pursue or kill big game animals with any rimfire rifle or rimefire handgun.  Center fired rifles are lawful: examples are .22-250 and .223.  There are exceptions for mountain lion and legally trapped wolves; see big game rules.
A: A regular deer tag can be used to harvest a mule deer or white-tailed deer. You will need to look in the big game regulation booklets to see what hunts are open for a late archery hunt and what species of deer can be harvested in those hunts. Please contact us at 208-334-3700 if you have ...
A: Based on the rules listed on page 18 of the 2014 big game regulation booklet, a regular deer tag can be used to hunt in an archery only season in unit 28 from December 1, 2014 through December 31, 2014. You will need to make sure you also have the required archery permit to participate in the ...
A: AR-15 type weapons are available in least 9 different calibers, all of which are legal for big game hunting in Idaho.  Idaho rules state that a firearm may not weigh more than 16 pounds, be fully automatic, fire buckshot smaller than #00, or be rimfire (except for lions and trapped wolves).  Idaho ...
A: Yes!  To make a correction to your hunter report for deer, elk or pronghorn you can call toll free 1-877-268-9365 (7 days/week) or contact the Wildlife Bureau at 208-334-2920 during normal business hours.
A:   Once you have killed  any species of willdife that requires a tag to hunt (all big game species and turkey) the hunter must immediatley validate  their tag and attach it either to the carcass for most big game species or to the animal's hide for bear, lion and wolf.   The term immediatley  is ...
A: As long as you have fulfilled the bow hunter education requirements, you are able to purchase an archery permit at any time during a license year. Based on the hunt information in the 2014 big game regulations, your regular deer tag can be used to participate in an archery only hunt for white- ...
A: First of all, thanks for the taking the time to ask the question.  Putting your tag on an animal you did not harvest yourself is called a tag transfer and is illegal.  The person to whom the tag is issued is the only person who may attempt to harvest that animal.  It is legal however for someone  ...
A: Thank you for your question. A variety of harvest statistics for big game and trophy animals can be found on our webpage here: Requests for additional information can be made through  
A: Negative; in Idaho it is unlawful to use someone elses tag or for someone to place their tag on an animal they did not harvest.  
A: Yes a semiautomatic 9mm carbine rifle could be used to hunt deer during the general season. Fully automatic weapons are of course illegal. This weapon would not be legal during any short range weapon hunt. I would suggest instead using a bolt action rifle however, of a larger caliber for the ...
A: Yes, your regular deer tag is valid in a short range hunt.  Short range hunts are general hunts with a weapon restriction, just be sure to follow the weapon restriction listed on page 100 of the 2014 Big Game Season and Rules brochure.
A: Yes, there is not a rule restricting the use of a scope on your shotgun in a short range season.
A: If you were designated the tag, there is not a waiting period. The waiting period is for those who draw an antlered only hunt during the first deer and elk drawing. Please contact us at 208-334-3700 if you have additional questions.
A: The regular deer tag can only be used during the seasons listed in the big game regulation booklets for the regular deer. It cannot be used in seasons listed for the white-tailed deer tag. Please give us a call at 208-334-3700 if you have additional questions.
A: Non-toxic shot is required for all hunting (including quail and upland game) while on the USFWS Deer Flat Refuge islands (posted with National Wildlife Refuge signs) in the Snake River.  No shot restriction exist on state or private islands, except those in place for waterfowl hunting.
A: You and your son can purchase a hunter's passport at a vendor or through the Idaho Fish and Game Department. The passport exempts you from taking hunter education this year in order to hunt. The passport expires at the end of the calendar year. That means that the next time you come to Idaho to ...
A: Yes, he will need to pay the nonresident tag fees as he does not qualify for resident items.
A: Thanks for the question. I'm glad you guys are having these types of discussions. The answer to your question is the same as so many questons regarding these types of laws:....... It depends. You have pretty much nailed it in the descriprion of your discussion. Idaho Code section 36-1508(a) sets ...
A: Yes. Deer and elk tags are available over-the-counter in Idaho. However, there are a limited amount. As of this answer, there are fewer than 2,000 of a total of 12,500 deer tags available to nonresidents for 2014. You can find the total remaining tags available online. You'll need your nonresident ...
A: If you are talking about filing a 2014 hunter-harvest report, you're in luck. (opens January 2014, closes June 2015). You will still be able to hunt in Fall 2015. (Question submitted 11/25/2014) Just to repeat the regulations -- Each hunter is required to file their report, within 10 days after ...
A: This is a very good question! If a wounded animal is located while hunting and it is still alive nothing would prohibit you from taking the animal and tagging it as your own, as long as you have a valid license, tag and or permit for the same animal and area where you are hunting. The hunter who ...
A: There are quite a few opportunities around this area.  One place to start would be to look at Idaho Fish and Game's wildlife management areas in the Panhandle Region.  Another more direct way might be to call the Panhandle regional office and ask to talk to someone in wildlife and we can help you ...
A: No this is not true.  The story is from a website that does parody news stories.  We do not have an officer by this name. We do not have any reports nor are encouraging folks to stay away from this area because of a tiger.
A: The parasites are fairly common, and they are a particular species of nematode that lives in joint areas of deer. The parasite is likely either in  the genus Onchocerca (several species) or the genus Wehrdikmansia (species cervipedis).  These parasite are transmitted by various biting insects ...
A: Idaho Fish and Game strives to provide hunting seasons that meet a wide variety of hunter’s desires, whether it be for food, trophy animals, or recreational opportunity with friends and family.  Each year, staff review population information and solicit public input (e.g. public meetings, web site ...
A: It is not legal to sell wild game meat in Idaho. You can anonymously report this to the Citizen's Against Poaching hotline or anonymous web form.
A: If a a private individual were to kill a dog at large it could carry criminal or civil liability.  The Fish and Game director or any peace officer, or persons authorized to enforce fish and game laws are authorized to destroy the dog at large when chasing big game.  Here is the section from Idaho ...
A: Yes, unless the regulation book specifies otherwise you can harvest either a mule deer or white-tailed deer during a regular deer season.  For the 2014 Regular Deer Tag, General Deer Short Range Weapon Season in Unit 38 you could harvest either a mule deer or white-tailed deer.
A: Yes, you must make a reasonable effort to retrieve any animal you wound.  It is strongly recommended you contact the local Conservation Officer or Idaho Department of Fish & Game Regional Officer and inform them of the circumstances as soon as possible.  Officers and regional offices have ...
A: The late season portion of the archery season on the white-tailed deer tag is designed to provide archery opportunity for hunters during and after the rut.  It currently runs from Nov 1 through Dec 19th and is longer than most other archery hunts.  Several years ago a proposal was put forth to ...
A: The price of the second nonresident general season tag is a set price for everyone. 
A: It can be a tricky situation while packing out an untagged portion of an animal and we appreciate your responsibility in asking for clarification. Here's a quote from a similar question on legally moving a tagged animal: "If you are contacted by an Officer while packing meat off the mountain you ...
A: Thank you for your interest in hunting in Idaho. It sounds like you've found several opportunities and that you have a good understanding of the restrictions.   Here are some things to consider for second tags: There are no guarantees for a second tag (as you mentioned) Second tags are made ...
A: All of Idaho Fish and Game’s wildlife harvest statistics are estimated from surveys of hunters. We get the most questions about deer or elk. I think this is what you are asking about. For deer, elk, and pronghorn, each hunter is required to fill out a Hunter Report form, either online or by phone ...
A: A hunter can only draw one super tag per species per year. If you purchase 8 applications for one species such as deer and draw a tag, our draw system sets your additional applications for that species apart so you cannot draw a second tag for that species.
A: The simple answer to your questions is yes. General season deer tags can be used in any open general season hunt (archery, any weapon or muzzleloader) as long as the hunter has the appropriate permits. Hunters need to verify seasons in the big game proclamation booklets.
A: Short answer is you will have to pay for the new tag. Per the Idaho Fish and Game Commission rules. Fees for resident and nonresident adult control hunt tags that are subsequently designated to their minor child or grandchild are not refundable. When you purchase the controlled hunt tag and then ...
A: Thanks for your question!  For calendar year 2014, the department sold 3,386 second nonresident deer tags, and 1,078 second nonresident elk tags.
A: Thanks for the great question! The printed form is for your records. By filling out and being presented that form, we have a digital copy of the form for Idaho Fish and Game's records. You can print it or maintain a PDF of this form for quick referral on a computer or phone. We recommend you keep ...
A: If your son has completed all the necessary requirements and is certified in hunter education, but he has never purchased a hunting license in any state before, Idaho's Hunting Passport is a great option.  If he has purchased a license before in any state, he is ineligible to purchase a Hunting ...
A: The answers to both of your questions are yes.  Please review a copy of our Big Game or Moose, Bighorn Sheep and Mountain Goat Seasons and Rules booklets for more information.  A quick call to one of our 9 offices could also help you with your questions.       While any person applying for any ...
A: The rule that requires hunters to either pick applying for a trophy species (moose, mountain goat, or bighorn sheep) or deer, elk, and pronghorn was implemented to improve drawing odds for moose, mountain goat, and bighorn sheep.  By reducing the number of people that apply for any one species, ...
A: Yes.  Depending on your method of hunting, an appropriate hunting license, tags with appropriate validations (archery or muzzleloader) are  required to hunt deer and elk.  For more information, review the "Licenses, Tags and Permits" section of any of our Seasons and Rules booklets.  A quick call ...