Questions & Answers

Ask Fish and Game is for general questions. Not all questions are answered. Urgent questions should be directed to your nearest office.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 229 questions
Question Askedsort ascending
A: To purchase an archery permit, all bowhunters must possess a valid hunting license and show proof they have completed an approved bowhunter education course or show evidence of having been licensed for an archery-only hunt in Idaho or another state, or complete an affidavit to that effect. To buy ...
A: Yes.  Depending on your method of hunting, an appropriate hunting license, tags with appropriate validations (archery or muzzleloader) are  required to hunt deer and elk.  For more information, review the "Licenses, Tags and Permits" section of any of our Seasons and Rules booklets.  A quick call ...
A: The Idaho Fish and Game Commission support equipment regulations for archery and muzzleloader equipment that are consistent with the primitive nature of the weapons.
A: The Idaho Fish and Game Commission is scheduled to hold a meeting in Pocatello in July.  The public hearing is planned for the evening of July 8 followed by the meeting the following day.  Members of the public are encouraged to testify before the Commission on all matters relating to fish and ...
A: The simple answer to your questions is yes. General season deer tags can be used in any open general season hunt (archery, any weapon or muzzleloader) as long as the hunter has the appropriate permits. Hunters need to verify seasons in the big game proclamation booklets.
A: No, It is unlawful to hunt or pursue big game animals using arrows or expanding broadheads in any archery hunt, short range weapon hunt  or any general season hunts.
A: Thank you for your interest in hunting in Idaho. It sounds like you've found several opportunities and that you have a good understanding of the restrictions.   Here are some things to consider for second tags: There are no guarantees for a second tag (as you mentioned) Second tags are made ...
A: Most elk management zones offer a choice of either an A tag or a B tag. The A and B tags have different season dates and may differ in the opportunity to use different weapon types or the type of elk that may be harvested. Although not the case in all zones that offer A tags and B tags, in most ...
A: This is a question that comes up now and then and it has been answered in the past at this web site.  You are correct in that you cannot use a crossbow to take upland game birds. The disabled archery permit is specifically for crossbow use in an archery only season specifically for big game. There ...
A: Questions about equipment technology are periodically asked.  Please refer to the most recent answer on expandable broadheads here. We've notified those monitoring these rules changes of your question concern. 
A: Unit 68 is part of the Big Desert zone for elk.  There are three elk hunts in that unit.  The first is the A tag that is for archery only and runs from August 30- September 30.  The second is a controlled cow hunt that runs from October 10 - November 30.  The only other hunt in this area is a ...
A: Idaho Code says: 05. Gaff Hook. It is unlawful to land fish of any species with a gaff hook except through a hole cut or broken in the ice in waters which have no length restrictions or harvest closures for that species or when landing nongame fish species taken with archery equipment. (3-29-12) ...
A: Residents of Idaho are eligible to purchase the sportsman's package license. The price of the sportsman's package license is set in Idaho Law and is $124.25 for all residents. To hunt with a crossbow in archery only hunts an individual must have a current year's archery permit (which is included ...
A: The late season portion of the archery season on the white-tailed deer tag is designed to provide archery opportunity for hunters during and after the rut.  It currently runs from Nov 1 through Dec 19th and is longer than most other archery hunts.  Several years ago a proposal was put forth to ...
A: You are correct in that you cannot use a crossbow to take upland game birds.  The disabled archery permit is specifically for crossbow use in an archery only season specifially for big game.  There are no archery only seasons for upland game birds.  The disabled archery provisions speak directly ...
A: Yes, you must make a reasonable effort to retrieve any animal you wound.  It is strongly recommended you contact the local Conservation Officer or Idaho Department of Fish & Game Regional Officer and inform them of the circumstances as soon as possible.  Officers and regional offices have ...
A: IDAPA rule 13.01.11 says, 05. Gaff Hook.   It is unlawful to land fish of any species with a gaff hook except through a hole cut or broken in the ice in waters which have no length restrictions or harvest closures for that species or when landing nongame fish species taken with archery equipment. ...
A: The was to approach such a request or recommendation is to work directly with the wildlife staff at your regional fish and office, well in advance of the next year's season setting process. Now would be an excellent time to initiation those dicussions.
A: As a matter of public safety, Idaho Code Section 36-1508 prohibits discharging a firearm from or across a public highway (any government maintained road and right-of-way).  This prohibition covers archery equipment, shotguns, rifles, pistols, muzzleloaders, airguns, and other hunting weapons.
A: Unprotected and Predatory wildlife would be legal to pursue with the weapon described.    
A: The Idaho Fish and Game Commission periodically reviews equipment rules to ensure they are still reasonable, easy to abide by, necessary to meet species management objectives, and consistent with current technology.  From 2006 to 2009, the Commission conducted a thorough review of archery ...
A: Yes, a crossbow is legal in a short range weapon hunt as long as the peak draw weight is not less than 150 pounds.  All other archery equipment restrictions apply (ie expandable broadheads are illegal, etc).
A: Idaho Department of Fish and Game Big Game Seasons and Rules describes weapon restrictions.  For 2014 you can find these on page 100.  The second column describes Archery Equipment in any hunt, including general any-weapon seasons and short-range hunts.  It is unlawful to pursue or kill big game ...
A: The entire park can be hunted with the exception of posted areas around buildings, so long as there is not a restriction stating the park is closed.  For example, the Park and Farragut WMA are closed from Aug 30-Sept 30 during the archery season in Unit 2 (see page 18-19 of 2014 Big Game seasons ...
A: If you have taken the bowhunter course, passed and printed the certificate you can sign up to take an Idaho Field Day. You will receive an Idaho bowhunter certification card.
A: As long as you have fulfilled the bow hunter education requirements, you are able to purchase an archery permit at any time during a license year. Based on the hunt information in the 2014 big game regulations, your regular deer tag can be used to participate in an archery only hunt for white- ...
A: Based on the rules listed on page 18 of the 2014 big game regulation booklet, a regular deer tag can be used to hunt in an archery only season in unit 28 from December 1, 2014 through December 31, 2014. You will need to make sure you also have the required archery permit to participate in the ...
A: Please review this answer:  
A: A regular deer tag can be used to harvest a mule deer or white-tailed deer. You will need to look in the big game regulation booklets to see what hunts are open for a late archery hunt and what species of deer can be harvested in those hunts. Please contact us at 208-334-3700 if you have ...
A: No.  The only time you need an archery permit is when you are hunting with a bow in an "Archery Only" hunt.  However, please be aware of the archery equipment restrictions, which can be found on page 100 of the 2014 Big Game Seasons and Rules brochure. 
A: This is a great question and unfortunately, especially with young hunters, it occasionally happens that they have either lost their license, washed it or just simply cannot find it. Although the license number is on the tag, Idaho Code 36-1201(c) requires that your "License must be .......on his ( ...
A: We do not restrict firearms in our archery only seasons.  Please contact the relative National Forest in regards to the postings you describe. 
A: An arrow wound is not natural.  This animal would not have died if not hit by the arrow.  No parts of this animal can be legally salvaged.
A: Idaho's 10 year (2014-2024) elk management plan was developed with the help of hunters, landowners, elected officials, land managers and other interested Idahoans. The elk plan establishes specific management goals that Fish and Game -- working with elk hunters and other elk enthusiasts -- will ...
A: No you do not need an archery permit to hunt coyotes with a bow, and you may use mechanical broadheads. An archery permit is only required in archery only hunts.  Weapons restrictions such as mechanical broadheads only apply in archery only hunts.  
A: You may harvest a doe with a second tag only where doe harvest is allowed.  For instance, whitetail hunting is either sex in many units as is archery hunting mule deer, but any weapon general seson mule deer is primarily youth hunting.  The second tag only allows you to shoot a second deer that is ...
A: No, you can not use archery gear, spears or any other methods, other than hooks and line, to catch game fish - with a couple of odd-ball exceptions.  First, you can use up to 5 traps to catch crayfish and you can use a spear to take bullfrogs.  Yes, both crayfish and bullfrogs are considered "game ...
A: Yes, you may hunt migratory birds with your archery equipment in Idaho.  Federal regulations state the following: It is against the law to take migratory game birds: with a trap, net, snare, net, rifle, pistol, swivel gun, shotgun larger than a 10 gauge, punt gun, battery gun, machine gun, ...
A: It is possible to recover this animal if you contact Idaho Fish and Game and get with the local Conservation Officer.  You did the right thing by not shooting the bull when you located it several days later; since you validated your tag.  If the animal is wondering, recovery is highly unlikely.  ...
A: Exchanging Deer or Elk Tags: Hunters may exchange general season elk tags for use in another zone at any Fish and Game office. Deer hunters may exchange a regular season deer tag for a white-tailed deer tag or a white-tailed deer tag for a regular season deer tag at any Fish and Game office. The ...
A: Yes. You can use a bow in "any weapon" season without an archery validation. The archery validation is required for archery-only hunts.  However, you are required to follow the archery equipment restrictions listed on page 100 of the 2014 Big Game Seasons and Rules brochure.
A: Not based on the information you have provided. Here is the state law regarding archery permits: Idaho Code 36-411 (b) Archery education. On and after January 1, 1994, no person shall be issued an archery permit unless that person presents to the department a certificate of completion in archery ...
A: Yes, you can fish using a rod, reel and lure/bait while under water.  I'm not sure what the advantage would be - but it is legal. We often receive questions about the use of spearguns while diving, to harvest fish.  Only nongame fish can be harvested using archery equipment, spears or mechanisms ...
A: You can find specifications for archery equipment in the 2014 Big Game seasons and rules book (page 100). Under Archery equipment it reads: "it is unlawful to pursue or kill big game animals:  with a bolt (crossbow) less than 12 inches from broadhead to nock inclusive." The answer to your question ...
A: You are restricted to the Snake River Zone with the tag you currently have. Elk zone tags are only valid for the zone they are purchased for.  The exceptions are for depredation hunts, extra antlerless elk hunts, or buying a discounted nonresident elk tag as a second tag, if available.  
A:        IDFG offers a wide variety of hunting seasons in the fall, including several that run the entire throughout the month of September. For example the archery season for both deer and elk opens Aug 30 and runs through the end of Septmeber. For the most part, archers will be wildly dispersedand ...
A: Yes you can purchase one of the discounted nonresident Brownlee A elk tags as a second tag.
A: If you are a resident, you can purchase the tag through the last day of the hunt. If you are a nonresident, you can do the same as long as the nonresident tag quota has not been sold out. For quota information please visit this page for nonresident inforamtion ...
A: During a Muzzleloader Only season no person shall take big game animils with any firearm, muzzleloading pistol or other implement other than a muzzleloading rifle or musket in accordance with weapon restrictions listed in the Big Game Seasons and Rules; for 2014 seasons listed on page 100.
A: You can harvest members of the Cyprinidae family (chubs, carp, northern pikeminnow, and  tench) and Cataostomidae family (suckers).  All other unprotected nongame fish species are probably too small to harvest with archery equipment.