Questions & Answers: roadkill-faq

Ask Fish and Game is for general questions.
  • Not all questions are answered.
  • Urgent questions should be directed to your nearest office.
  • Some answers change over time; please take note of the "answered-on" date.

Previously answered questions are posted here.

Displaying 1 - 18 of 18 questions
Question Askedsort descending
A: By notifying the Idaho Dept. of Fish and Game (IDFG) and completing reporting requirements, people can now: Recover and keep wildlife species classified as upland birds, upland game animals, big game, furbearers, unprotected wildlife, and predators that may be lawfully hunted or trapped that have ...
A: Notifying Fish and Game within 24 hours and obtaining a salvage permit within 72 hours is a legal requirement to lawfully possess salvaged wildlife.    Within 24 hours, you must report a wildlife salvage by going online to, which will direct you to a self- ...
A: No.  Migratory species, such as waterfowl, doves, crows, and protected wildlife and/or birds, such as eagles, hawks, owls and songbirds, may not be salvaged or possessed, nor can protected non-game animals and Threatened or Endangered wildlife.  All of these species encountered dead along the ...
A: No.  Idaho rule prohibits the sale of parts of Bighorn Sheep that have been found dead of natural causes or salvaged at the site of a vehicle collision.  
A: No.  The public is not authorized to dispatch a wounded animal.  Please report injured wildlife by contacting your nearest Conservation Officer, Sheriff’s office, or IDFG regional office.
A: No.
A: The language of this rule is specific to “accidental kills caused by vehicle/wildlife collisions."
A: No.  Interstate highways are controlled access highways and stopping on interstates and medians is strictly prohibited unless for emergencies.  Retrieving or salvaging wildlife is not considered an emergency and is therefore not authorized on interstates.  
A: Yes and No.  There are risks and potential safety hazards when stopping on many roadways and highways.  Motorists choosing to stop and retrieve wildlife on any road assume all responsibility for their actions should an accident result due to stopping to retrieve wildlife of any kind.  Motorists ...
A: Eating the salvaged meat is at your discretion.  By signing the permit, persons acknowledge that the meat was not inspected and consumption is at their own risk.
A: No.  The sale of game animal meat is not authorized.  
A: Yes.  A signed, written sales statement showing the taker’s name, address, license and tag numbers (not needed for salvage of road kill), date and location of salvage, must be provided to the buyer of any black bear or mountain lion head, hide or other parts (except tanned hides or finished rugs ...
A: The salvage permits are free.  
A: No.  Nonresidents can also salvage wildlife killed by accidental vehicle-collisions.  Remember, notifying Idaho Fish and Game within 24 hours and obtaining a free salvage permit within 72 hours is a legal requirement to lawfully possess salvaged wildlife. 
A: No.  There is no stipulation that you salvage the entire carcass.  You can salvage any part that you choose and leave the rest.
A: The rule does not specifically address field dressing the animal: the rule neither allows nor prohibits field dressing of road kill animals at the site. However, you should be aware of local rules and laws associated with traffic stopping on roadways for any other purpose other than emergencies. ...
A: Yes, a person can obtain more than one salvage permit in a season.  A salvage report is required for each animal that is salvaged (example:  2 deer, 2 permits) Yes, a person can obtain more than one salvage permit for the same species. 
A: Thanks for the great question! The printed form is for your records. By filling out and being presented that form, we have a digital copy of the form for Idaho Fish and Game's records. You can print it or maintain a PDF of this form for quick referral on a computer or phone. We recommend you keep ...