Idaho Fish and GameIDFG Logo
IDFG Regions
Region 1 - PanhandleRegion 2 - ClearwaterRegion 3 - SouthwestRegion 4 - Magic ValleyRegion 5 - SoutheastRegion 6 - Upper Snake Region 7 - SalmonView list of all Regions

Questions & Answers: roadkill-faq

Displaying 1 - 17 of 17 questions
Question Askedsort ascending
A: Yes, a person can obtain more than one salvage permit in a season.  A salvage report is required for each animal that is salvaged (example:  2 deer, 2 permits) Yes, a person can obtain more than one salvage permit for the same species. 
A: The rule does not specifically address field dressing the animal: the rule neither allows nor prohibits field dressing of road kill animals at the site. However, you should be aware of local rules and laws associated with traffic stopping... Read more
A: No.  There is no stipulation that you salvage the entire carcass.  You can salvage any part that you choose and leave the rest.
A: No.  Nonresidents can also salvage wildlife killed by accidental vehicle-collisions.  Remember, notifying Idaho Fish and Game within 24 hours and obtaining a free salvage permit within 72 hours is a legal requirement to lawfully possess... Read more
A: The salvage permits are free.  
A: Yes.  A signed, written sales statement showing the taker’s name, address, license and tag numbers (not needed for salvage of road kill), date and location of salvage, must be provided to the buyer of any black bear or mountain lion head... Read more
A: No.  The sale of game animal meat is not authorized.  
A: Eating the salvaged meat is at your discretion.  By signing the permit, persons acknowledge that the meat was not inspected and consumption is at their own risk.
A: Yes and No.  There are risks and potential safety hazards when stopping on many roadways and highways.  Motorists choosing to stop and retrieve wildlife on any road assume all responsibility for their actions should an accident result due... Read more
A: No.  Interstate highways are controlled access highways and stopping on interstates and medians is strictly prohibited unless for emergencies.  Retrieving or salvaging wildlife is not considered an emergency and is therefore not... Read more
A: The language of this rule is specific to “accidental kills caused by vehicle/wildlife collisions."
A: No.
A: No.  The public is not authorized to dispatch a wounded animal.  Please report injured wildlife by contacting your nearest Conservation Officer, Sheriff’s office, or IDFG regional office.
A: No.  Idaho rule prohibits the sale of parts of Bighorn Sheep that have been found dead of natural causes or salvaged at the site of a vehicle collision.  
A: No.  Migratory species, such as waterfowl, doves, crows, and protected wildlife and/or birds, such as eagles, hawks, owls and songbirds, may not be salvaged or possessed, nor can protected non-game animals and Threatened or Endangered... Read more
A: Notifying Fish and Game within 24 hours and obtaining a salvage permit within 72 hours is a legal requirement to lawfully possess salvaged wildlife.    Within 24 hours, you must report a wildlife salvage by going online to http://... Read more
A: By notifying the Idaho Dept. of Fish and Game (IDFG) and completing reporting requirements, people can now: Recover and keep wildlife species classified as upland birds, upland game animals, big game, furbearers, unprotected wildlife, and... Read more