Questions & Answers: big game

Ask Fish and Game is for general questions.
  • Not all questions are answered.
  • Urgent questions should be directed to your nearest office.
  • Some answers change over time; please take note of the "answered-on" date.

Previously answered questions are posted here.

Displaying 1 - 15 of 15 questions
Question Asked
A: It can be a tricky situation while packing out an untagged portion of an animal and we appreciate your responsibility in asking for clarification. Here's a quote from a similar question on legally moving a tagged animal: "If you are contacted by an Officer while packing meat off the mountain you ...
A: Our research shows that one reason many nonresidents left the state over the last 5-6 years was due to the down economy. Tourism was down everywhere.  There has not been a resident license fee increase since 2005 though our expenses continue to increase annually. In order to continue to provide ...
A: Thank you for your question on additions to legal archery equipment.  The short answer is no there have been no changes in the archery regulations regarding the technology you mention.  Each year the Idaho Fish and Game Commissioners have the option to add or restrict the equipment that hunters ...
A: The 2014 Big Game Rules are posted on our website.  From our front page you can find the link in the "Features" box on the left side of the home page.  Please try the link in that box instead of the link you list in your question details.
A: The 2014 legislature approved changing the minimum age to hunt big game from 12 down to 10.  This goes into effect on July 1, 2014.  The 2014 fall big game hunts will be affected.
A: Yes, you can use a rangefinder while bow hunting big game in Idaho.  It cannot be attached to the bow. The rule states; No person shall take big game animals with any electronic or tritium-powered device attached to, or incorporated into, an arrow, bolt, crossbow, or bow (except nonmagnifying ...
A: No, except a person may purchase a left-over nonresident general season elk tag, or put in for an "extra" elk tag (controlled hunts designated by an "X"). During the process of developing the 2014 Elk Pplan there was discussion and interest in developing some hunts that would allow a tag holder to ...
A: Several years ago, evidence of sex rules were specific to the hunt. In other words, in an either-sex hunt there was no requirement for evidence of sex; while in sex-specific hunts there was the requirement. Depending on the year, and the hunting season, the evidence-of-sex requirement did or did ...
A: They will be online and in print in April before the application period for deer, elk, pronghorn and fall bear controlled hunts (May 1-June 5).
A: Idaho has a permit for the same purpose (Hunt from a Vehicle Permit).  The application form is online (the link is It requires a doctor's signature and it costs $1.75. If you need further information about the Magic Valley area, ...
A: Nonresident Disabled Veterans Nonresident disabled veterans participating in a hunt in association with a qualified organization may be eligible for reduced fees for licenses and tags. To qualify, nonresident disabled veterans must meet the definitions and provide the three documentation items ...
A: Preserving Evidence of Sex   Deer, elk and pronghorn: If the head or antlers are removed, evidence of sex in the form of testicles, penis, scrotum, udder or vulva must remain naturally attached to the carcass or parts thereof on all harvested big game animals until they reach the final place of ...
A: Yes. 
A: Lighted nocks are illegal because it is illegal to use a weapon with any electronic device attached to, or incorporated on, the firearm or scope; except scopes containing battery powered or tritium lighted reticles are allowed.   The commission has considered changing the rule in the past, but ...
A: Lighted arrow nocks are not legal for use in Idaho.