Idaho Fish and GameIDFG Logo
IDFG Regions
Region 1 - PanhandleRegion 2 - ClearwaterRegion 3 - SouthwestRegion 4 - Magic ValleyRegion 5 - SoutheastRegion 6 - Upper Snake Region 7 - SalmonView list of all Regions

Questions & Answers: controlled hunt

Displaying 26 - 32 of 32 questions
Question Askedsort ascending
A: A resident may apply for a controlled hunt with a nonresident, but your chance of drawing will be the same as the nonresident. Nonresidents may draw no more than 10 percent of the permits in any controlled hunt. Once the quota has been met... Read more
A: Glad you asked. Here is a simplified version of how the controlled hunt drawing system works: The procedure has been computerized since 1973 and was certified random by Boise State University professors in 1977. Every applicant has the... Read more
A: Glad you asked. The best help other than talking to experienced hunters is at Idaho Fish and Game's Hunt Planner online at The site offers detailed information on every big game management... Read more
A: Applicants whose names were drawn had through August 1 to pick up their controlled hunt tags. If they didn't pick them up, their tags became available for the second drawing. The application period for the second drawing for deer, elk and... Read more
A: You can simply ignore purchasing your controlled hunt tag and pick up a general tag when they become available on August 2. Or you can fill out an affidavit at any Idaho Fish and Game office to cancel your controlled hunt now. The usual... Read more
A: The application period for elk controlled hunts, as well as controlled hunts for deer, pronghorn, fall black bear and fall turkey runs from May 1 through June 5. Hunters may apply for controlled hunts at any hunting license vendor, Fish... Read more