Idaho Fish and GameIDFG Logo
IDFG Regions
Region 1 - PanhandleRegion 2 - ClearwaterRegion 3 - SouthwestRegion 4 - Magic ValleyRegion 5 - SoutheastRegion 6 - Upper Snake Region 7 - SalmonView list of all Regions

Questions & Answers: hunting

Displaying 101 - 125 of 140 questions
Question Askedsort ascending
A: It depends. Tags for controlled hunts can't be exchanged, nor can tags for general hunts that already are open. But tags for a general season that has not opened may be exchanged - for a fee of $3.75. Tags can be exchanged only at a Fish... Read more
A: It depends. In addition to a valid 2010 Idaho hunting license, hunters need a permit to hunt sage-grouse and sharp-tailed grouse. Any person hunting sage- or sharp-tailed grouse must have in possession their license with a sage/sharp-... Read more
A: Applicants whose names were drawn had through August 1 to pick up their controlled hunt tags. If they didn't pick them up, their tags became available for the second drawing. The application period for the second drawing for deer, elk and... Read more
A: Yes. The mourning dove season opens September 1, and in addition to a 2010 hunting license, hunters must have a federal "Migratory Game Bird Harvest Information Program Validation," migratory bird permit for short - not a duck stamp. It... Read more
A: You can simply ignore purchasing your controlled hunt tag and pick up a general tag when they become available on August 2. Or you can fill out an affidavit at any Idaho Fish and Game office to cancel your controlled hunt now. The usual... Read more
A: No. Idaho native tadpoles are amphibians and classified as protected nongame, and as such it would not be legal to sell them without a permit. A person with a valid Idaho hunting license is allowed to collect and keep up to four of any... Read more
A: The application deadline is June 30. Applications that come in after June 30 are added to the list but have little chance of being selected. Applicants must have a valid Idaho hunting or combination license. Depredation hunts, if needed,... Read more
A: No. When the court revokes someone's hunting, fishing or trapping privileges for a period of time, it means just that, the privileges are revoked, whether they need a license or not. It is illegal for anyone to hunt, fish, or trap or... Read more
A: Drawing results for mountain goat, bighorn sheep and moose will be available online in early June. All applicants will get either a tag or a refund check in the mail by June 10. It is the hunter's responsibility to find out whether he or... Read more
A: The sign-up period to participate in depredation hunts this year runs from May 1 through June 30. Applications that come in after June 30 are added to the list but have little chance of being selected. Applicants must have a valid Idaho... Read more
A: The application period for elk controlled hunts, as well as controlled hunts for deer, pronghorn, fall black bear and fall turkey runs from May 1 through June 5. Hunters may apply for controlled hunts at any hunting license vendor, Fish... Read more
A: The application period for elk controlled hunts, as well as controlled hunts for deer, pronghorn and fall black bear runs from May 1 through June 5. Hunters may apply for controlled hunts at any hunting and fishing license vendor, Fish and... Read more
A: Yes. The waiting period requirement is for those who drew an antlered hunt in the first drawing. Those who draw an antlered hunt in the second application period for a leftover or unclaimed tag or who purchase an antlered hunt in the... Read more
A: The application period for moose, bighorn sheep and mountain goat controlled hunts begins April 1 and runs through April 30. The rule book is published every two years, so this year's book will be the same as last year's. The fees have... Read more
A: Successful applicants for spring turkey and bear hunts will be notified by postcard after March 10. You can also check your status through the Idaho Fish and Game Website in March, at It is... Read more
A: A two-pole permit does not allow anglers to double the number of lines they can use when ice fishing. In most of the state, there are no restrictions on the number of holes an ice angler can drill, except they can't be more than 10 inches... Read more
A: The 2010 Big Game Seasons and Rules won't be available until after the Idaho Fish and Game Commission sets the big game seasons for 2010 at the commission meeting in late March. The books go to the printer shortly after that and will be... Read more
A: No. Ice fishing rules are slightly different than general fishing for public safety and general crowding. Fishing is allowed only through a hole up to 10 inches in diameter. This reduces the risk of someone falling through holes. (The only... Read more
A: Hunters can sign up to participate in depredation hunts - special controlled hunts used to relieve big game damage problems on agricultural crops - for deer, elk and pronghorn in areas they are willing to hunt in 2010 when the Big Game... Read more
A: The receipt for resident big game tags is offered as a convenience, so you only have to make one purchase. Resident general deer and elk tags usually go on sale around July 1, however, if you desire to purchase a capped elk zone tag you... Read more
A: No. Fish and Game offers annual license and lifetime license certificates. These licenses are valid for the lifetime of the license holder and are available to all residents of Idaho. If a lifetime certificate holder moves out of Idaho,... Read more
A: It depends on the felony. Under Idaho law, anyone convicted of any of 36 felonies may not own, use or carry a firearm, which the law defines as "any weapon from which a shot, projectile or other object may be discharged by force of... Read more
A: No Idaho state taxes go into Fish and Game budget. The agency's revenue comes from license and tag sales, federal funds from taxes on hunting and fishing equipment, from mitigation agreements for hydroelectric projects, and from federal... Read more
A: This year, the only legal weapons in a season designated "short range weapons only" are muzzleloader, archery equipment, crossbow and shotgun using slugs or shot size 00 or larger. But the Idaho Fish and Game Commission in July approved... Read more