Friday, September 19, 2014
Back to News Release List
IDAHO FISH AND GAME
Headquarters NEWS RELEASE
f&g conducts special controlled hunt drawing
Some hunters who were unsuccessful in last month's controlled hunt drawing are eligible for a special drawing that will take place before July 10th.
Fish and Game Director Virgil Moore released 283 additional tags for deer, elk and pronghorn for the special drawing.
Moore announced the drawing in response to confusion about eligibility requirements for the first drawing. A new law that went into effect July 1 allows 10 and 11 year olds to hunt big game. The first drawing occurred before the new law took effect, however nearly 300 tags were awarded to 9 to 11 year olds. In allowing the tags to stand, Moore cited inadequate communication of Fish and Game's interpretation of controlled hunt eligibility requirements.
Eligible hunters who were at least 12 years old prior to July 1 who applied in the original drawing for tags awarded to 9 to 11 year olds will automatically be entered into the special drawing, which will take place as soon as possible. No additional action by these eligible hunters is necessary to participate in the special drawing. Successful applicants will be notified by July 10th.
- The special drawing will be among 106 controlled hunts in which tags were awarded to 9 to 11 year olds.
- Not all applicants will be eligible for the special drawing; only those eligible hunters who applied for hunts in which 9 to 11 year olds received tags for hunts with limited tags will be re-entered.
- Only those eligible hunters who did not draw their first choice tag will be entered into the special drawing.
- Hunters who drew their second choice tag will be re-entered if additional tags are available in their first choice hunt. If unsuccessful in the special drawing, those hunters will retain the second choice tags originally awarded.
- Hunters who chose one of the 106 hunts as their second choice will be eligible only if tags are left after first choice applicants have been awarded a tag.
- Successful applicants in the special drawing will be notified by mail, and will also be able to use the Fish and Game website at http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/CH to see if their license number was selected.
- Successful applicants in both the June 23rd original drawing and the special drawing will have until August 1st to claim their tags.
- Any unclaimed tags from either drawing will be available in the second drawing in August.
For more information about this one-time special drawing for controlled hunts, including a list of the 106 hunts affected and a list of frequently asked questions, go to: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/specialdraw/