Saturday, May 25, 2013
Back to News Release List
IDAHO FISH AND GAME
Headquarters NEWS RELEASE
june 9 is free fishing day in idaho
Saturday, June 9 is Free Fishing Day in Idaho, and the Idaho Department of Fish and Game invites veteran and novice anglers of all ages, residents and nonresidents alike, to celebrate the day by fishing anywhere in Idaho without a license.
Though fishing license requirements are suspended for this special day, all other rules, such as limits or tackle restrictions, remain in effect. Free fishing day includes salmon; anglers don't need a license or salmon permit, but they are still subject to all bag and possession limits.
Free fishing day provides a great opportunity for novices to give fishing a try and perhaps develop it into a life-long pursuit. Parents are encouraged to bring their children out for a day of fun fishing excitement.
Lack of fishing experience is no excuse. At special locations around the state, equipment will be available for use, and fishing experts will be on hand to help novice anglers learn the ins and outs of fishing. In addition, all these locations will be stocked with hatchery rainbow trout prior to the special day. Look for the nearest event listed below, and "Take a Kid Fishing."
Panhandle Region: For information 208-769-1414.
- Bonners Ferry - Snow Creek Pond, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Calder - Calder Pond, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Clark Fork - Clark Fork Lodge, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Coeur d'Alene - Ponderosa Springs Golf Course, 7 to 11 a.m.
- Enaville - Steamboat Ponds, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Mullan - Lucky Friday Pond, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Post Falls - Post Falls Park Pond, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Priest Lake - Priest Lake Golf Course, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Rathdrum - Rathdrum City Park, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Sandpoint (near Sagle) - Round Lake State Park, 9 a.m. to noon.
For information 208-799-5010. All events 9 a.m. to noon.
- Elk City - Karolyn's Pond.
- Grangeville - Wilkins Pond.
- Kooskia/Selway Ranger Station - Fenn Pond, 5 miles from Lowell on Forest Service Road 223.
- Lewiston - Mann Lake.
- Lewiston - Kiwanis Pond.
- Pierce - Deer Creek Reservoir.
- Riggins - Long Gulch Pond.
- Troy - Spring Valley Reservoir.
For more information call 208-634-8137 in McCall or 208-465-8465 in Nampa.
- Boise - Parkcenter Pond, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Boise - McDevitt Pond, 8 a.m. to noon.
- Cascade - Fischer Pond, 10 a.m. to 2:30p.m.
- Council - Council Park Pond (a.k.a. Ol' McDonald Pond), 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Eagle - Merrill Pond, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Emmett - Ed's Pond, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Horseshoe Bend - Mill Pond, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Idaho City - Visitor Center Pond, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Lake Lowell - Gotts Point at the west end of Greenhurst Avenue, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Lowman - 10-mile Ponds, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- McCall - Rowland (Scout) Pond, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Mountain Home - Legacy Park Pond, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Nampa - Wilson Springs Ponds, 8 a.m. to noon. (A location change: No Free Fishing Day event will be at the Nampa Fish Hatchery across the street from Wilson Springs.)
- New Meadows - Kimberland Meadows Pond, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Leroy Matthews Memorial Fishing Event.
- Payette - Atwood Pond, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
For information 208-232-4703.
Upper Snake Region:
- Grace - Grace Fish Hatchery, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Children 14 and under may fish, but age 8 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
- Marsh Valley - Hawkins Reservoir, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. (hosted by Bureau of Land Management.)
- Pocatello - Edson Fichter Pond, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Soda Springs - Kelly Park Pond, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Children 13 and under may fish, but age 8 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
For information 208-525-7290. All events from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Loaner poles and worms will be available.
- Ashton Hatchery - advanced registration only, call 208-525-7290.
- Idaho Falls - Becker (Ryder) Pond.
- Island Park - Mill Creek Pond on Yale-Kilgore Road.
- Rexburg - Rexburg City Ponds, west of Fair Grounds.
- Victor - Trail Creek Pond.
For more information about regional events contact local Fish and Game offices or visit the Fish and Game Website at http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/