Thursday, August 21, 2014
Back to News Release List
IDAHO FISH AND GAME
Headquarters NEWS RELEASE
southwest idaho waterfowl seasons open october 15
Waterfowl seasons open in southwestern and south-central Idaho on Saturday, October 15; seasons already are open in the rest of the state.
Area 2: All or parts of Ada, Boise, Canyon, Cassia, Elmore, Gem, Gooding, Jerome, Lincoln, Minidoka, Owyhee, Payette, Twin Falls and Washington counties:
- For ducks and dark geese from October 15 to January 27, 2012, with a shorter scaup season from November 5 to January 27, 2012.
- For snow and Ross's geese from November 6 to January 27, 2012; and reopen from February 18 to March 10, 2012.
- Parts of Area 2 closed during the spring light goose season are Fort Boise and Payette River WMAs and that portion of the Roswell Marsh Wildlife Habitat Area south of state Highway 18, and the Snake River Islands Unit of the Deer Flat National Wildlife Refuge in the Southwest Region.
For light geese only - includes that portion of the Upper Snake Region within Bingham County in Game Management Unit 63 south of Highway 20 and west of the west bank of the Snake River, and that portion of the Southeast Region within Bingham and Power counties in units 68 and 68A west of the west bank of the Snake River and American Falls Reservoir bluff.
- For snow and Ross's geese from October 23 to January 13, 2012; and reopens from February 18 to March 10, 2012.
All of the state not included in Area 2.
- For ducks and dark geese from October 1 to January 13, with a shorter scaup season from October 22 to January 13.
- For snow and Ross's geese from October 1 to January 13, 2012.
- Fremont and Teton counties are closed to light goose hunting.
Daily duck bag limits are seven birds in the aggregate - no more than two female mallards, two redheads, three scaup, two pintails, one canvasback - with a possession limit of 14 birds after the first day and no more than four female mallards, four redheads, four pintails, six scaup and two canvasbacks.
Daily limits for Wilson's snipe are eight, with a possession limit of 16 after the first day; and the daily limit for coots are 25 with a possession limit of 25 after the first day.
Daily bag limits for dark geese - Canada, greater white-front - is four per day. Daily limits for light geese - snow, blue, Ross's - are 10 per day.
Hunters must have a valid Idaho hunting license, a federal migratory game bird harvest information program validation and a federal migratory bird (duck) stamp, except youths 15 and under do not need the duck stamp.
Nontoxic shot is required for all waterfowl hunting in Idaho. Hunters may have in their possession only nontoxic shot approved by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service that is 0.20 inches in diameter (T size) or smaller. Please see http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/CurrentBirdIssues/nontoxic.htm
for the most current list of nontoxic shot approved for waterfowl hunting.
For additional details consult the 2011-2012 waterfowl seasons brochure available at license vendors and online at: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/hunt/rules/?getPage=66