Furbearer General Any Weapon Season
Panhandle Furbearer Region
11/1/2013 - 3/31/2014
- Northern River Otter (Lutra canadensis)
- Either-sex Northern River Otter
- Either sex may be taken.
- Open to Trapping, Closed to Hunting.
- Motorized Hunting Rule (MHR): Motorized vehicle use as an aid to hunting for wildlife is restricted to established roadways open to motorized vehicle traffic capable of travel by full-sized automobiles. A full-size automobile shall be defined as any motorized vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) in excess of 1,500 lbs. Find out more information about hunting with ATVs and the Motor Hunting Restriction at fishgame.idaho.gov/cms/hunt/atv/
Harvest quota 30 for the Panhandle Region. Visit River Otter Harvest Webpage, call the Panhandle office at (208)769-1414 or call the 24 hour hotline at (800)323-4334 24 to obtain current harvest information. Season closes 48 hours after quota is reached. Maximum limit of 2 otters per trapper.
All areas closed to beaver trapping are closed to otter trapping.
- Panhandle Furbearer Region
- Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, Kootenai and Shoshone Counties. Area Size: 5,076,376 acres
No historical hunts resemble this hunt or harvest statistics are not currently available for this opportunity.
Tags, Permits & Fees
No resident tags are necessary.
No non-resident tags are necessary.
Landscape Characteristics and Access
For government land, these data show the managing agency of the land, which may or not be the same as the owning agency.
|U.S. National Wildlife Refuge||0.06 %|
|U.S. Forest Service (USFS)||48.03 %|
|State of Idaho||8.61 %|
|U.S. National Park Service (NPS)||0 %|
|U.S. Military||0.08 %|
|Indian Reservation||1.35 %|
|U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM)||1.93 %|
Access Yes! Properties
Access Yes! is Fish & Game program designed to improve sportsmen's access to private land or through private land to public land by compensating willing landowners who provide access.
- Mica Creek Drainage on St. Joe River
- Hugas Creek & St. Joe River Basin
- Trout Creek Drainage (St. Joe)
- John Creek Drainage
- Trout Creek Drainage (Pack River)
- Caribou Creek Drainage
Forest Service Land
Check for road and area closures on National Forest websites
- Clearwater National Forest
- Coeur d'Alene National Forest
- Kaniksu National Forest
- Kootenai National Forest
- St. Joe National Forest
Federally-designated Wilderness Areas
No motorized vehicles are allowed in these areas.
There are no wilderness areas in this hunt.
Land Use/Land Cover
|Dryland Agriculture||14.69 %|
Lodging, Camping, Restaurants & Other Services
- Cities in Panhandle Furbearer Region
- Coeur d'Alene, pop. 36,259
- Post Falls, pop. 18,738
- Sandpoint, pop. 7,167
- Rathdrum, pop. 5,081
- Bonners Ferry, pop. 2,639
- St. Maries, pop. 2,586
- Cataldo, pop. 2,395
- Kellogg, pop. 2,258
- Murray / Prichard, pop. 1,920
- Priest River, pop. 1,818
- Spirit Lake, pop. 1,409
- Plummer, pop. 968
- Wallace, pop. 898
- Athol, pop. 678
- Hope / Clark Fork, pop. 633
- Priest Lake, pop. 600
- Harrison, pop. 268
- Worley, pop. 223
- Bayview, pop. 200
- Cities within 25 mi.
- Cities within 50 mi.
- Make your own maps of this hunt area in the IDFG Map Center.
- Download a KMZ file for you GPS or viewing in Google Earth Download KMZ (Google Earth).
- Driving Directions to this hunt provided by MapQuest
- Current road conditions from the Idaho Department of Transportation.