Furbearer General Any Weapon Season
Salmon Furbearer Region
10/22/2011 - 3/15/2012
- Northern River Otter (Lutra canadensis)
- Either-sex Northern River Otter
- Either sex may be taken.
- Open to Trapping, Closed to Hunting.
Harvest quota 10 for the Salmon Region. Call the appropriate IDFG office or 1-800-323-4334 to obtain current harvest information. Season closes 48 hours after quota is reached. Maximum limit of 2 otters per trapper.
Main Salmon R. downstream from North Fork, Idaho: CLOSED.
All areas closed to beaver trapping are closed to otter trapping.
- Salmon Furbearer Region
- Custer and Lemhi Counties. Area Size: 6,081,642 acres
No historical hunts resemble this hunt or harvest statistics are not currently available for this opportunity.
Tags, Permits & Fees
No resident tags are necessary.
No non-resident tags are necessary.
Landscape Characteristics and Access
For government land, these data show the managing agency of the land, which may or not be the same as the owning agency.
|U.S. Forest Service (USFS) 68.73%|
|U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) 22.65%|
|State of Idaho 1.52%|
Access Yes! Properties
Access Yes! is Fish and Game program designed to improve hunting and fishing access to private land or through private land to public land by compensating willing landowners who provide access.
Forest Service Land
Check for road and area closures on National Forest websites
- Boise National Forest
- Sawtooth National Forest
- Targhee National Forest
- Salmon-Challis National Forest
Federally-designated Wilderness Areas
No motorized vehicles are allowed in these areas.
- Frank Church - River of No Return Wilderness 794,934 acres (13.07% of hunt area)
- Jim McClure-Jerry Peak Wilderness 94,910 acres (1.56% of hunt area)
- White Clouds Wilderness 90,318 acres (1.49% of hunt area)
- Sawtooth Wilderness 54,671 acres (0.9% of hunt area)
- Hemingway-Boulders Wilderness 41,891 acres (0.69% of hunt area)
Land Use/Land Cover
|Forest 53.93 %|
|Rangeland 39.77 %|
|Irrigated-Gravity Flow 2.91 %|
|Irrigated-Sprinkler 2.47 %|
|Riparian 0.52 %|
|Urban 0.29 %|
|Water 0.05 %|
|Dryland Agriculture 0.04 %|
1990 Land Use/Land Cover based on Anderson et al scheme via Idaho Department of Water Resources
Lodging, Camping, Restaurants & Other Services
- Cities in Salmon Furbearer Region
- Cities within 25 mi.
- Cities within 50 mi.