Furbearer General Any Weapon Season
Southwest Furbearer Region
11/1/2011 - 3/15/2012
- Northern River Otter (Lutra canadensis)
- Either-sex Northern River Otter
- Either sex may be taken.
- Open to Trapping, Closed to Hunting.
Harvest quota 30 for the Southwest Region. Call the appropriate IDFG office or 1-800-323-4334 to obtain current harvest information. Season closes 48 hours after quota is reached. Maximum limit of 2 otters per trapper.
North Fork of the Payette R. from Cabarton Bridge downstream to Horseshoe Bend, confluence of the Middle Forrk and South Fork Payette R. downstream to the confluence with the North Fork Payette R. at Banks, and Boise R. from Lucky Peak Dam to Caldwell: CLOSED.
All areas closed to beaver trapping are closed to otter trapping.
- Southwest Furbearer Region
- Ada, Adams, Boise, Canyon, Elmore, Gem, Owyhee, Payette, Valley & Washington Counties. Area Size: 14,028,905 acres
No historical hunts resemble this hunt or harvest statistics are not currently available for this opportunity.
Tags, Permits & Fees
No resident tags are necessary.
No non-resident tags are necessary.
Landscape Characteristics and Access
For government land, these data show the managing agency of the land, which may or not be the same as the owning agency.
|U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) 36%|
|U.S. Forest Service (USFS) 30.81%|
|State of Idaho 5.63%|
|U.S. Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) 1.81%|
|U.S. Military 0.9%|
|U.S. National Wildlife Refuge 0.01%|
|U.S. Corps of Engineers (COE) 0%|
Access Yes! Properties
Access Yes! is Fish and Game program designed to improve hunting and fishing access to private land or through private land to public land by compensating willing landowners who provide access.
- Highland Land and Livestock Boise River WMA
- Payne Family Grazing- Pleasant Valley and Thomas Creek
- Mink - East Pine, Advent Gulch, Weiser River
- Van Deusen Ranch - Willow Ridge
- A L Cattle - Shirts Creek
- A L Cattle - Dodson Pass
- Janss Farms
- Hammett Livestock
- Paddock Valley Reservoir
- Osborn Ranch - Indian Valley
- Osborn Ranch - New Meadows
- Osborn Ranch - Six Mile Cr
- Big Foot Bar Boat Ramp -Snake River
- Diamond A Livestock - Little Pilgrim Gulch
- Erskine-Boise River Dixie
Forest Service Land
Check for road and area closures on National Forest websites
- Boise National Forest
- Payette National Forest
- Sawtooth National Forest
- Salmon-Challis National Forest
Federally-designated Wilderness Areas
No motorized vehicles are allowed in these areas.
- Frank Church - River of No Return Wilderness 740,789 acres (5.28% of hunt area)
- Owyhee River Wilderness 267,263 acres (1.91% of hunt area)
- Sawtooth Wilderness 149,622 acres (1.07% of hunt area)
- Bruneau-Jarbridge Rivers Wilderness 89,788 acres (0.64% of hunt area)
- Big Jacks Creek Wilderness 52,748 acres (0.38% of hunt area)
- Little Jacks Creek Wilderness 50,929 acres (0.36% of hunt area)
- North Fork Owyhee Wilderness 43,413 acres (0.31% of hunt area)
- Hells Canyon Wilderness 22,673 acres (0.16% of hunt area)
- Pole Creek Wilderness 12,533 acres (0.09% of hunt area)
Land Use/Land Cover
|Rangeland 52.62 %|
|Forest 35.8 %|
|Irrigated-Gravity Flow 6.04 %|
|Irrigated-Sprinkler 2.23 %|
|Riparian 1.8 %|
|Urban 0.68 %|
|Dryland Agriculture 0.42 %|
|Water 0.39 %|
|Rock 0.02 %|
1990 Land Use/Land Cover based on Anderson et al scheme via Idaho Department of Water Resources
Lodging, Camping, Restaurants & Other Services
- Cities in Southwest Furbearer Region
- Boise, pop. 189,847
- Nampa, pop. 60,259
- Meridian, pop. 39,067
- Caldwell, pop. 29,466
- Eagle, pop. 13,659
- Mountain Home, pop. 11,531
- Garden City, pop. 10,985
- Kuna, pop. 7,773
- Payette, pop. 7,148
- Emmett, pop. 5,752
- Weiser, pop. 5,367
- Fruitland, pop. 3,978
- Homedale, pop. 2,536
- McCall, pop. 2,110
- Garden Valley, pop. 2,000
- Parma, pop. 1,804
- Glenns Ferry, pop. 1,571
- Wilder, pop. 1,472
- New Plymouth, pop. 1,386
- Cascade, pop. 962
- Marsing, pop. 942
- Horseshoe Bend, pop. 812
- Council, pop. 772
- New Meadows, pop. 509
- Idaho City, pop. 483
- Grand View, pop. 478
- Cambridge, pop. 354
- Lowman, pop. 210
- Bruneau, pop. 100
- Murphy, pop. 75
- Yellow Pine, pop. 38
- Silver City
- Warm Lake
- Cities within 25 mi.
- Cities within 50 mi.